Content Writing Internship at Photography Organisation, Cape Town
Get valuable work experience with an exciting photography project
Are you an aspiring writer, journalist, or communications professional? And are keen to get some good practical experience? We have an exciting opportunity for you at Penda Photo Tours, a photography workshop company and aligned NGO, the Penda Trust. A young but fast-growing organisation, Penda believes that photography has the power to change lives; both through incredible experiences, and through non-profit projects. During this Content Writing Internship with Penda, you’ll be a vital part of communicating this message. The main focus is on blog writing, social media, and online content creation. However this internship offers a variety of tasks and an opportunity to become a large part of a small team. An interest in photography would be great, but isn’t a must.
“I see the world of NGOs as a kind of Pandora’s box: once open, you can’t stay the same, to get involved in the amazing stories it enshrines is inevitable. I’m learning about the world, I’m learning about myself, what makes me happy and how I want to be in my future. I feel again as one of these little girls with big dreams.”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Photography Workshop Company & Aligned Non-Profit
- Work Focus Creative Writing, SEO, Social Media, Strategy, Blogging
- Length of Internship Minimum of 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee From USD 1,536 for 8 weeks
Penda is a young social enterprise that uses photography to both create amazing experiences and to generate positive change. Penda Photo Tours offers photography workshop around the world; exciting trips that are completely focused on taking amazing pictures. People can, for instance, join Penda to photograph the Big Five in South Africa, to encounter Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda, to learn about street photography in Cuba, or to photograph Brown Bears in Alaska. All workshop are guided by professional photographers, who help participants improve their skills throughout the experience. Penda also believes in the power of photography to do good. Through the Penda Trust, the organisation uses photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries. This is done through the following methods:
- Providing grass-roots charities with professional photographs that they can use to raise awareness about their issues and fundraise for their causes. Visual marketing is essential for any charity to get their word across, and good photography is a vital part of this. We identify non-profit organisations in developing countries that will benefit from having professional photographs, and document their work.
- Hosting photography workshops for talented young individuals in underprivileged communities. Photography can give people a voice. We identify young individuals with an interest in and talent for photography, and provide workshops where we encourage them to tell their stories, and the stories of their communities, through photography. We teach them creative self-expression, and the power visual images can have. Participants are encouraged to raise awareness about issues that matter most to them, which stimulates positive activism.
- Highlighting important issues by creating and exposing great photography. We fund and organise expositions to present photography that would otherwise not be seen; photography that tells important stories, highlights the work of important organisations, and gives a communications platform to these causes.
Check out this video about one of the Penda Trust projects.
Penda is a young but fast-growing organization, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of Penda’s development. While a majority of the tasks are related to communications, we can tailor-make someone’s portfolio according to someone’s skills and experience.
Your tasks can involve the following:
- Writing blogs
- Writing articles for other publications
- Helping develop Content Marketing and SEO strategies
- Helping develop social media strategies
- Posting on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- Writing newsletters
- Assisting with running digital marketing campaigns
We also offer a Marketing Internship at Penda, which focuses more on marketing research, digital marketing campaigns, and some fundraising. You might want to check that out too.
And read this blog post about the experience of another Penda intern!
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
Penda is looking for people who will be excited by being a large part of a small organisation; one that is growing fast. We are ideally looking for interns with the following skills and experience:
- Strong English writing skills
- Some experience with social media is beneficial
- An interest in investigative journalism would be ideal
- An interest in blogs and content marketing
- An ability to work quite independently
- An interest in photography would be beneficial
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to Penda, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
Penda has internship opportunities throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,536
12 weeks – USD 2,028
16 weeks – USD 2,521
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.