be part of an innovative nonprofit program
Bring your communications skills to a unique internship with The Underdog Project in Cape Town, a nonprofit organization that pairs at-risk youth with rescue dogs in an inspiring effort to drastically improve the lives of both.
As an intern, you’ll join a small but dedicated team to assist them with all things communications; you’ll help manage social media channels, write articles, draft newsletters, and you might put funding proposals together. Since you’ll be a large part of a small team, you’ll have the opportunity to make a big impact with your work, and really help drive this nonprofit forward.
You can do this writing and communications internship on the ground, in Cape Town, or remotely, if that suits you better. To apply, you’ll need to be a strong and versatile writer, an independent worker, and someone who shares the passion for this cause.
- Experience in managing a variety of communication channels
- Sharpened writing skills
- A strong grasp of the nonprofit sector in South Africa
- Some insights into fundraising (if you have an interest in this)
- International work experience – even if you’re working remotely
You’ll be part The Underdog Project, a South African nonprofit that teaches youth from underprivileged backgrounds to train rescue dogs. It’s an inspiring workshop program that offers a wide range of benefits to both the kids and the dogs.
Based in Cape Town, the organization works with kids from communities where abuse and violence are widespread, and opportunities are limited. It’s also an area with a large street dog population. By pairing at-risk kids with rescued dogs, and teaching the youngsters how to train their dogs, The Underdog Project aims to inspire the kids and encourage them to develop empathy. It also fights a culture of animal cruelty, and it increases the chances of the dogs to get adopted and find loving homes.
Through their innovative program, The Underdog Project ultimately aims to uplift the lives of both underprivileged youth and dogs.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a writing and communications intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks. Depending on your skills and experience, they can include;
- Managing social media channels
- Writing newsletters
- Writing web content and blogs
- Assisting with further development of communication strategies
- Writing reports and/or proposals
- Strong writing skills
- Good communication skills
- Ideally some experience in communications
- A willingness to working in a culturally different environment
- An ability to work independently
- A passion for the work The Underdog Project does
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at the Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, the Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take four to eight people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 MONTHS USD 1,814
3 MONTHS USD 2,382
4 MONTHS USD 2,949
5 MONTHS USD 3,517
6 MONTHS USD 4,084
Remote internship: fixed fee USD 525
What you are paying for:
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Accommodation based on a dorm room (4-8 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- Free WiFi
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Meals during the weekend
- Transport to the office
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Animal & Youth NGO|
|Content Creation, Creative writing, Communications|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|USD 1,814 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”The Underdog Project gave me the opportunity to work and become a part of a close-knit team, which meant my voice was heard and valued. This engagement was so beneficial to my time at this organization because it allowed me to work on projects that I was genuinely interested in and passionate about. I was able to learn about the day-to-day of the organization and also the big picture concepts that drive them. From working on social media campaigns to content planning to more, I was able to use my skill set to make a difference, while also improving on my expertise. An overall great thing to be a part of!Stephanie, United States, Writing & Communications Internship
- Gain a wealth of communications experience in a nonprofit setting
- Be a large part of a small team doing impactful work
- Live and work in Cape Town, arguably one of the greatest cities in the world
- Have the flexibility of working remotely, if you prefer
3 MONTHS USD 2,382
4 MONTHS USD 2,949
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!