tell stories from the field through a range of communications channels
We’re excited to offer this internship in the communications field with a strong environmental purpose. You’ll join an innovative Ghanaian project focused on sustainable land management, and bring stories from the field to an international audience.
You’ll be part of OKO Forests, a young and ambitious organization that aims to rehabilitate landscapes by creating agroforestry buffer zones in strategic places. Their work, which is based on years of research, is at its early stages, but the vision of the project is of a large scale. As an intern, you’ll help define and roll out a communications strategy, which involves developing and managing social media channels, writing online content, and creating newsletters and reports.
This is an excellent opportunity for students studying communications, creative writing, or related fields. As a large part of a small team, you’ll be able to make a tangible contribution to the development of these inspiring projects.
As this is a remote internship, you’ll have the flexibility of working remotely, but the opportunity of adding international work experience to your resume.
|Min. 8 Weeks|
OKO is a project on a mission to sustain landscapes through the adoption of regenerative agricultural practises. Based in the heart of Ghana, the OKO team develops innovative agroforestry systems, provides training for groups of local farmers, and finds routes to market for produce. The overall goal is to increase farmers’ yields, improve soil fertility through the adoption of agroforestry practices, and implement sustainable practices at a large scale.
After two years of intense research, OKO was launched in 2016. Their vision is to create replicable models that can be used across the tropics to rehabilitate landscapes at scale. A current key focus is on protecting forest reserves through the establishment of commercial agroforestry buffer zones that create wealth for the communities who live adjacent to the protected sites.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a communications intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks, which – depending on your skills and experience – can include;
- Developing and managing social media channels
- Writing online content and assisting with website management
- Assisting with the development of an overall communication strategy
- Writing newsletters & reports
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ideally some experience in social media management, website management and/or other forms of online communication
- An interest in the work OKO Forests does
- A go-getter attitude and ability to work independently
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
This is a remote internship, so you can work from the comfort of your home. There might be the opportunity to work on the ground in 2022, if you’re interested. Please get in touch to discuss details of how this would work.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for several weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
Placement fee USD 475
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 475|
- Enjoy the opportunity to work on a strategic level within a growing organization
- Get practical experience in various aspects of communications
- Gain insights into sustainable land management in an African context
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Gain international work experience while working from home
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!