Help a social impact program grow their reach
This internship is a wonderful chance to gain practical experience in copywriting and communications, while helping a social impact organization define their message and grow their reach. As an intern, you can either join their small team on the ground in Livingstone, Zambia, or work remotely, if that works better for you.
You’ll join Baobuyu Learning Center, an education-focused nonprofit organization based in a welcoming community on the outskirts of Livingstone. Baobuyu runs a community center that serves as a pre-school in the mornings, offering high quality education to kids in the community, and as a workshop space in the afternoons. As an intern, you’ll help get the word out about Baobuyu’s work. This can be by developing and managing social media channels, writing online content, writing reports and proposals, and assisting with the overall development of a communications strategy. You might also help with fundraising campaigns.
If you’re keen to practice your writing skills, get hugely varied work experience in the communications field, and contribute to an inspiring cause at the same time, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Baobuyu Learning Center is a community center that provides a large number of educational programs to the local community. It’s based in Mwandi, a rural community on the outskirts of Livingstone that deals with a lack of opportunities and resources. The center was established in 2016, and has since grown into an important hub with a varied program of free workshops and classes.
During the mornings, the center provides primary education for children aged 2 to 6. The goal is to provide free education to children who might otherwise not have access to quality schooling. During the afternoons, the center becomes the venue of a number of clubs and workshops, including;
- Skill development workshops that encourage entrepreneurship and teach practical skills such as woodcarving, cooking, and gardening.
- A support group for teenage girls that allows them to share worries and stories, and teaches them encourages some creative fun activities.
- A recycling club that teaches both kids and adults about waste management, upcycling, and eco-bricking.
- A women’s group that aims to empower women and improve their quality of life. This involves skill development workshops, education on healthy living, and entrepreneurial support.
- Health workshops that offer important information on a number of diseases and viruses that are prevalent in Zambia, such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria – as well as mental health issues. The workshops are a safe place for people to share their stories and for people to learn about preventing diseases, first aid, and healthy eating.
- A chess club that offers both classes and tournaments for keen community members.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
- As a writing intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of writing assignments and communications tasks, which can include;
- Writing web and blog content
- Writing newsletters and reports
- Managing social media accounts
- Assisting with overall communications strategies
- Putting grant and other funding proposals together
- Assisting with online funding campaigns
- Strong writing skills
- Ideally some experience in social media or web management
- A versatile approach to writing
- An interest in and passion for the work Baobuyu does
- An independent attitude
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Minimum age of 21 years (due to visa requirements) – does not apply for remote internship
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will be based in Livingstone, a town that’s famous for the Victoria Falls, but there is plenty more to see and do in your spare time. Take a stroll at one of the local markets and enjoy the friendliness of the Zambian population. Or if you are more adventurous, think about rafting the mighty Zambezi river or a bungee jump of the bridge. And there are plenty of opportunities in the area to go on a safari. Never a dull moment in Livingstone.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee. You’ll stay in a shared house near Baobuyu Learning Center, together with the founder of the organization and a couple of others. It’s a basic but very comfortable house in a nice area of Livingstone, a 20-minute stroll into the center of the town. The house has three bedrooms, plenty of living space, and a large garden. There are three dogs at the property. You’ll share a room and bathroom with one other person.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates for the internship with this organization are flexible and will be discussed during the application proces.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,630
12 weeks USD 2,106
16 weeks USD 2,582
20 weeks USD 3,057
26 weeks USD 3,770
Remote internship: Fixed fee USD 525
What you are paying for:
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Transfer from Livingstone airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Daily transport to the project
- Pre-departure information
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Supervision and support on the ground
- Flights to Livingstone
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Livingstone, Zambia OR Remote|
|Writing, Social Media, (Online) Fundraising, Communications|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,630 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”I have really enjoyed the variety of tasks and projects that I've been able to be involved with from afar. I have spent the last month or so creating a 'Basic First Aid' booklet for an intensive community workshop that Baobuyu is planning to run. I have also created resources for their female empowerment groups, like a leaflet on puberty and we are hoping to create a leaflet on entrepreneurship for the 'Vision for Women' group. In the next month, I am also looking at possibly starting a blog section on their website and researching possible grants.Anais, Remote writing intern, United Kingdom
- Gain hugely varied practical work experience in communications
- Sharpen your writing skills through a range of writing assignments
- Gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector
- Contribute to the long term impact of a worthwhile nonprofit initiative
- Live and work in Livingstone, a friendly Zambian town with a stunning location (or work remotely, if you prefer)
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Marketing and Fundraising Internship
- Min 8 weeks
- Cusco, Peru OR Remote
- Marketing, Fundraising, Strategy, Communications
Develop a broad marketing skill set promoting the crucial work being done for Cusco’s most vulnerable young people
Marketing and Fundraising Internship
- Min. 3 months
- Bahia, Brazil
- Digital Marketing, Content creation, Strategy, Fundraising
Build a well-rounded marketing skill set promoting vital work done in a seaside community