Animal Welfare Fundraising Internship in Livingstone, Zambia
Assist with digital fundraising, adoption programs, proposal writing, and fundraising research.
Be part of a small animal rescue organization in Zambia and gain valuable work experience in the fundraising sector. Addressing the issues of street animals and low animal welfare standards, this organization rescues, and re-homes neglected dogs and cats, runs vaccination campaigns, and teaches school children animal welfare workshops. During the animal welfare fundraising internship, you’ll assist with digital fundraising, adoption programs, proposal writing, and fundraising research. You’ll also have the opportunity to get involved with on the groundwork, including animal rescue and education programs, which will give you full insight into the way the organization operates. On top of this, you’ll get to spend some time in Livingstone, which is a friendly town on the Zambezi River, and close to the famous Victoria Falls.
- Destination Livingstone, Zambia
- Type of Organization Nonprofit
- Work Focus Fundraising, animal welfare
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,887
Zambezi Animal Welfare Services (ZAWS) was set up in 2014 by a group of friends keen to improve the welfare of domestic animals, mainly dogs and cats, in the Livingstone area. Their aims are to reduce the populations of feral dogs and cats, have a healthier, controlled population of owned dogs and cats, and to educate the local population on animal welfare, dog bite avoidance and on “one health” concepts – the concept that human health, animal health, and environmental health are all closely linked and co-dependent. The organization’s activities to date include mass vaccination and veterinary treatment outreaches in urban and rural areas, spay and neuter campaigns, educational visits to schools and clubs. The team has rescued over 100 dogs and 65 cats, most of which have been re-homed.
You’ll be part of a small organization and while your main focus will be on fundraising, you’ll have the opportunity to be involved in a range of areas, including some field work. Your tasks during the animal welfare fundraising internship are likely to include the following:
- Research fundraising opportunities with international organizations and draft and submit grant applications
- Assist with donor relationship management
- Help run fundraising campaigns with local businesses and organize fundraising events
- Assist with managing online communication channels
- Organise pet adoption data and follow up with adopters
- Assist with monitoring and reporting
- Assist with organizing school visits and school clubs for education on animal welfare and bite avoidance
- Assist with animal rescue projects
This organization also offers an Animal Rescue Management Internship
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where you’ll stay
You will be based in Livingstone, a town that’s famous for the Victoria Falls, but there is plenty more to see and do in your spare time. Take a stroll at one of the local markets and enjoy the friendliness of the Zambian population. Or if you are more adventurous, think about rafting the mighty Zambezi river or a bungee jump of the bridge. And there are plenty of opportunities in the area to go on a safari. Never a dull moment in Livingstone.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
- Good English speaking and writing skills
- Animal lover
- Prepared for hands-on experience with dogs, cats, donkeys and who knows what else
- Computer literate on WordPress, Excel, Instagram, Facebook, Word, Animoto (or similar)
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and up for a challenge
- Flexibility and ability to cope with the unexpected and lack of routine
- Ideally some experience in fundraising
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
- A minimum age of 21 years applies (due to visa regulation)
- NB. For this internship, full medical insurance coverage and current rabies and tetanus vaccinations are a requirement
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
LAPS has internship opportunities throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Livingstone, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose and the duration of your stay. See below for the fees for a stay at the lodge in a shared room including basic breakfast. If you prefer a different accommodation, please let us know and we will check availability and prices for you.
8 weeks – USD 1,886
12 weeks – USD 2,555
16 weeks – USD 3,224
What is included in the fee?
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Accommodation based on shared room: use of the pool and all bar facilities (drinks and meals not included), free unlimited wifi.
- Transfer from Livingstone airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Pre-departure information
- Check-in and feedback
- Supervision and support on the ground
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Livingstone
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities