Assist with digital fundraising, adoption programs, proposal writing, and fundraising research
Be part of a small animal rescue organization in Zambia and gain valuable work experience in the fundraising sector. Addressing the issues of street animals and low animal welfare standards, this organization rescues, and re-homes neglected dogs and cats, runs vaccination campaigns, and teaches school children animal welfare workshops.
During the animal welfare fundraising internship, you’ll assist with digital fundraising, adoption programs, proposal writing, and fundraising research. You’ll also have the opportunity to get involved with on the groundwork, including animal rescue and education programs, which will give you full insight into the way the organization operates. On top of this, you’ll get to spend some time in Livingstone, which is a friendly town on the Zambezi River, and close to the famous Victoria Falls.
|Animal welfare NGO|
|Fundraising, Animal welfare, Communications|
|From USD 1,886|
Zambezi Animal Welfare Services (ZAWS) was set up in 2014 by a group of friends keen to improve the welfare of domestic animals, mainly dogs and cats, in the Livingstone area. Their aims are to reduce the populations of feral dogs and cats, have a healthier, controlled population of owned dogs and cats, and to educate the local population on animal welfare, dog bite avoidance and on “one health” concepts – the concept that human health, animal health, and environmental health are all closely linked and co-dependent. The organization’s activities to date include mass vaccination and veterinary treatment outreaches in urban and rural areas, spay and neuter campaigns, educational visits to schools and clubs. The team has rescued over 200 dogs and 165 cats, most of which have been re-homed.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
You’ll be part of a small organization and while your main focus will be on fundraising, you’ll have the opportunity to be involved in a range of areas, including some field work.
What you’ll do
- Research fundraising opportunities with international organizations and draft and submit grant applications
- Assist with donor relationship management
- Help run fundraising campaigns with local businesses and organize fundraising events
- Assist with managing online communication channels
- Organize pet adoption data and follow up with adopters
- Assist with monitoring and reporting
- Assist with organizing school visits and school clubs for education on animal welfare and bite avoidance
- Assist with animal rescue projects
- Good English speaking and writing skills
- Animal lover
- Prepared for hands-on experience with dogs, cats, donkeys and who knows what else
- Computer literate on WordPress, Excel, Instagram, Facebook, Word, Animoto (or similar)
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and up for a challenge
- Flexibility and ability to cope with the unexpected and lack of routine
- Ideally some experience in fundraising
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
- A minimum age of 21 years applies (due to visa regulation)
- Full medical insurance coverage and current rabies and tetanus vaccinations
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will be based in Livingstone, a town that’s famous for the Victoria Falls, but there is plenty more to see and do in your spare time. Take a stroll at one of the local markets and enjoy the friendliness of the Zambian population. Or if you are more adventurous, think about rafting the mighty Zambezi river or a bungee jump of the bridge. And there are plenty of opportunities in the area to go on a safari. Never a dull moment in Livingstone.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
DATES & RATES
This organization has internship opportunities throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
8 weeks from USD 1,886
12 weeks from USD 2,555
16 weeks from USD 3,224
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Livingstone, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose and the duration of your stay. See below for the fees for a stay at the lodge in a shared room including basic breakfast. If you prefer a different accommodation, please let us know and we will check availability and prices for you.
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Accommodation based on shared room: use of the pool and all bar facilities (drinks and meals not included), free unlimited wifi.
- Transfer from Livingstone airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Pre-departure information
- Check-in and feedback
- Supervision and support on the ground
- Flights to Livingstone
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
|Animal Welfare NGO|
|Fundraising, Animal Welfare, Communications|
|From USD 1,886|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”This was an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life. Doing something with your skills in an organization that really needs it, and seeing that what you do really makes a difference, gives you a feeling of satisfaction you will never have experienced before. That, and a setting that is very rough, but also very beautiful, makes this internship worthwhile. If you love animals and you are keen on doing a marketing and communications internship in Africa – look no further.Daphne, BelgiumAnimal Welfare Fundraising Internship, Livingstone
- Gain practical experience in fundraising, communications and donor management
- Contribute to a nonprofit on a mission to provide animal welfare and protection services to dogs and cats in and around Livingstone
- Get involved with community education, rescue and rehabilitation projects.
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Live and work in Livingstone, a unique location next to Victoria Falls
Enjoy many (adrenaline packed) activities in Livingstone or visit one of the nearby National Parks in Zambia, Botswana or Zimbabwe
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!