Social media and PR Internship at NGO in Cape Town
Gain experience in digital fundraising, social media, public relations and digital marketing at an environmental non-profit.
Are you a strong communicator and passionate about the environment? We have an exciting opportunity for you to be part of Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town. This young but fast-growing NGO runs environmental projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups of people to get involved in their green mission. With its strong focus on spreading its message, Greenpop has a dedicated communications team that can always do with extra input. During the Social Media and PR Internship in Cape Town, you will be part of an energetic team and gain valuable experience digital fundraising, social media, public relations and digital marketing while contributing to a worthwhile cause.
Have a look at this short video of Laura who did a Social Media and PR Internship with Greenpop. Or read the blog post she has written.
Do you have a passion for writing? You might also want to check out Greenpop’s Content Writing Internship
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Communications, PR
- Length of Internship Minimum of 2 months
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,390 for 8 weeks
A Little Bit About Greenpop
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
“Not only do you make a difference for the planet, it is life changing for yourself as well. I became much more conscious about the environment and how to live more sustainable.” –Charlotte, The Netherlands
As an intern at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at our nursery and eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
More information on Greenpop: www.greenpop.org
What You’ll Be Doing
Greenpop is an active organisation that puts large emphasis on reaching large audiences with its message. This involves strong communication efforts with different groups of people; project beneficiaries, (potential) funders, volunteers, interns, partners, stakeholders and anyone interested in sustainability and greening. As a Social Media and PR Intern in Greenpop’s Communications Department, you can be part of these efforts.
- Assist in defining communications strategy.
- Coordinating the distribution of our creative content through the appropriate channels – social media, website, traditional media, poster campaigns, talks, live activations, etc.
- Assist with digital fundraising campaigns
- Writing pitches and press releases to expand media relations and our brand footprint.
- Manage the media database (& research new media partners and channels).
- Manage contact database for partners, agents and career centers at universities.
- Fostering an engaged online community and interacting with them in a way that leads to sales conversions and donations.
- Attending relevant exhibitions and meetings.
- Researching new communications opportunities.
- All interns at Greenpop assist with office support, workshops, plant days and eco-hub open days.
Skills or abilities you will learn while working with Greenpop
You will gain experience in the following main areas
- Digital marketing
- Social media marketing
- Community management
Main skills that can be developed
- Strategic communication skills
- Networking skills
- Research skills
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
For this Social Media and PR Internship, Greenpop is looking for people with he following skills and experience:
- Work well in a team
- Have strong writing skills
- Good understanding (both written and spoken) of the English language
- Like the idea of contributing to a social enterprise
- Preferably experience with social media and blogs
- Bring your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start your Social Media and PR Internship?
Greenpop organizes orientation days twice a month, so you can start every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
- 8 weeks – USD 1,502 (2018)
- 12 weeks – USD 1,978 (2018)
- 16 weeks – USD 2,454 (2018)
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.