Help raise vital funds for vulnerable animals in Portugal while developing a diverse portfolio of work
This is an incredible opportunity for those who want to use their marketing and fundraising skills to make meaningful change within the environmental sector.
Your job as a marketing and fundraising intern is to craft and share the organization’s key messages. With powerful content comes more donor support. And with more donor support, even more vulnerable, neglected, or mistreated animals can be cared for. You’ll use your creativity to help plan and deliver effective fundraising campaigns to drive engagement. There will also be plenty of opportunities to create impactful content, including social media and web content, that will help to raise awareness of key environmental issues in the region.
- Plan and craft impactful content to drive donor support
- Build up knowledge around different areas of marketing and fundraising, such as how to build a campaign and evaluate data
- Understand how an environmental nonprofit operates
- Work within a international team made up of dedicated professionals, interns, and volunteers
- Learn more about the unique fauna and flora native to Portugal
SOS Animal is driven to improve animal welfare throughout Portugal and beyond. They have a main office, as well as a veterinary hospital in Lisbon which are open to the public and members of SOS Animal. They have recently set up an animal sanctuary in the Santarém region of Portugal, which will be home to a rich variety of native animals and plant species.
The organization offers free veterinary care to animals from low-income and vulnerable households and has set up a successful animal sterilization program whereby they have performed over 3000 sterilizations. They have also found new homes for over 600 rescued animals and have given almost 10,000 free veterinary consultations to families in need.
Alongside providing medical treatment and care to animals, the organization aims to share important information relating to animal welfare and environmental issues impacting flora and fauna more widely. They do this through the dissemination of studies, running clarification sessions and hosting lectures and other educational activities. This nonprofit also contributes scientific research and data to help manage communities of stray animals, and promote initiatives aimed at improving animal welfare across the public and private sectors.
In 2013 and 2016, the organization featured on seasons 1 and 2 of the program, ‘SOS Animal’, broadcasted on Portuguese television. And again in 2019, they appeared in the first season of the program, ‘À Descoberta Com’ which had approximately 500,000 viewers per episode.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a marketing and fundraising intern on this program, your tasks will include:
- Planning and creating content for the organization’s communication channels, including social media and website
- Building impactful fundraising campaigns to help boost donor support
- Research opportunities and options for funding
- Monitor and evaluate data to inform future campaigns and content creation
- All interns assist with general work and at the start of the internship there will be an orientation program with basic skills (taking care of animals, cleaning, etc.)
- Share the organization’s core values, demonstrating the desire to contribute to this unique project in Portugal
- A flexible approach to work
- Fluency in English
- Able to commit to one month minimum
- Minimum age of 20 years old
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will stay at the sanctuary in Santarém, where there is a house with the choice of single or shared bedrooms. The house includes all furnishings, bed linen, a shared kitchen where you can prepare your meals, communal areas, as well as an outdoor pool for you to enjoy. The accommodation has access to Wifi and cleaning service is included. Once a week, you can go to the local town to pick up groceries.
The nearest city is 5 km from the sanctuary and you are welcome to take one of the sanctuary’s bicycles to explore the surroundings. Santarém is on a plateau, situated on the bank of the River Tagus, a picturesque area surrounded by hills and wheat fields. Located in the middle of the river, is the fairy-tale Castelo de Almourol, arguably one of Europe’s most beautiful castles.
DATES & RATES
Internships are available from January until November. The start and end dates of the internship will be discussed with you during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2024 fees)
4 weeks EUR 1,318
8 weeks EUR 2,035
12 weeks EUR 2,751
16 weeks EUR 3,468
20 weeks EUR 4,185
26 weeks EUR 5,261
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An academic internship eligible for university credit. Check with your university to confirm if this internship qualifies for credit or alternatively we can assist you with purchasing transfer credits.
- Accommodation based on a shared room. Please contact us if you are interested in an upgrade to a single room.
- Wifi access
- Assistance with your visa arrangement and other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with your supervisor
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flights to Lisbon airport
- Transfer from the airport to your accommodation (less than one hour by car)
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Animal Welfare and Conservation NGO|
|Content Creation, Fundraising, Monitoring & Evaluation, Funding Research|
|From EUR 1,318|
- Contribute to important animal welfare and conservation work in Portugal
- Gain a wealth of knowledge in the marketing and fundraising sector
- Boost your resume with international work experience
- Live in a tranquil area surrounded by biodiverse forests
- Meet the Portuguese locals and experience their way of life
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Communication and Marketing Internship
- Min. 12 weeks
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Digital Marketing, Content Creation, Social Media, Reporting
Build communications and marketing skills whilst helping to lift children and their families out of poverty.
Conservation Marketing and Fundraising Internship
- Min. 2 months
- Manzanillo, Costa Rica
- Digital Marketing, Content Creation, Fundraising, Outreach
Travel to Costa Rica and help raise funds and awareness for the important conservation work being done there.
Remote NGO Management Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Digital Marketing, Communications, Fundraising
Make a valuable contribution to the fight to improve mental health support in Brazil.