Create, edit and design websites and get to work with several nonprofit organizations
Are you a budding web design entrepreneur? Flex your web design skills while contributing to a nonprofit organization.
As a web design intern, you will independently take on a varied set of tasks, including designing websites, updating and improving existing websites, and guiding nonprofit teams through managing their websites effectively. It’s an excellent opportunity to gain a lot of work experience and build a portfolio of websites. Note that you won’t be overseen by a professional web designer, and while your work can be adapted to your skillset, you’ll need to have strong acquired web design skills. So, if you already have a strong foundation and would like to create meaningful change while strengthening your resume, this is the internship for you.
This remote internship will have the benefit of doing project-based work with multiple nonprofit organizations throughout Africa. This will depend on when you join, and which organization needs you. This provides an exciting opportunity to work with not just one, but several of our nonprofit partners. These partners all do incredibly important work in Africa in areas such as human rights, gender equality, animal welfare, climate change, health, and education. Throughout your internship you will have the opportunity to better these causes. Given the intimate size of our organizations, you will be able to see evident change to the communities you will be helping.
TASKS & REQUIreMENTS
As a web design intern, you will have the unique opportunity to work with several of our partners depending on their needs. Your exact work will be tailored depending on your knowledge and experience, so that you’ll gain the type of experience that you’re looking for, and you’ll be able to use your skills effectively.
As a web design intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of writing assignments, which can include:
- Designing websites
- Building brand new (user-friendly) websites
- Updating and improving current websites
- Guiding nonprofit teams on how to manage their website effectively
- A self-starter attitude
- Strong web design / development skills
- An ability to work independently
- A willingness to working with multiple partners, organizations, and teams
- A portfolio of web design work so we can assess your level of proficiency
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
This is a remote internship, so you can work from the comfort of your home. There might be the opportunity to work on the ground in 2021, if you’re interested. Please get in touch to discuss details of how this would work.
DATES & RATES
The start dates for this internship are flexible; we will discuss the options with you during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2023)
Placement fee USD 525
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
“I am happy to say that it was a pleasure working with Roots! Thanks a lot for getting me the remote monitoring & evaluation internship, it was really a good experience! Thanks so much for constantly checking if things were okay and enjoyable!”Ariane, RwandaMonitoring & Evaluation Internship, Rwanda
Remote Agroforestry Project Communications Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Marketing, Communications, Content creation
Remote Web Design Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Web design
- 8-26 weeks
- Mentoring, Broadcasting, Storytelling, Reporting