Gain experience in fundraising while contributing to a good cause
Learn about the international fundraising landscape during an internship with a nonprofit organization based in Malawi.
During this remote or in-person fundraising internship, you’ll be part of a grassroots program that runs permaculture clubs at schools in rural communities, with the aim of promoting natural land management and enhancing food security. As an intern, you’ll help run online campaigns, write funding proposals, and assist with reporting to funders. You will also gain online communication experience by managing social media channels and assisting with website management.
This internship is a great opportunity to boost your resume with international work experience, and to contribute to an important cause at the same time.
Malawi Schools Permaculture Clubs (MSPC) is a nonprofit that promotes permaculture principles to children in Malawi. Based in Nkhata Bay, in the north of the country, the organization supports primary school teachers in the area who want to run after-school permaculture clubs. MSPC provides all the relevant training and tools for the teachers, as well as a structured club program for them to follow. This includes a resource pack of weekly lessons and activities, basic equipment needed to run clubs, and infrastructure to support and motivate teachers throughout the year.
The aim of the program is to teach children how to care for and regenerate their natural environment, to value their local resources, and to learn how to produce their own nutritious food. MSPC works with 600 children at over 15 different schools, and has plans of expanding the program to other areas of Malawi.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Depending on your skills, your tasks will include;
What you’ll do
- Help develop and run online fundraising and individual giving campaigns
- Write grant applications
- Do fundraising research
- Assist with donor management
- Assist with measuring impact and writing impact reports
- Help develop communication strategies
- Manage social media
- Write content for blogs and newsletters
- If you are based in Malawi: you can get involved with any workshops, activities on the ground to get your hands dirty
- Strong online communication skills
- Fluency in English
- Experience with fundraising would be ideal
- An ability to work independently
- Strong research and analytical skills
- A passion for MSPC’s mission
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at the lovely Butterfly Space, a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you are like to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
DATES & RATES
The start dates for this internship are flexible; we will discuss the options with you during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 1,757
3 months USD 2,099
4 months USD 2,440
5 months USD 2,782
6 months USD 3,123
Remote internship – Placement fee USD 625
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Accommodation in a dorm room. If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices.
- Two meals per day for the first month
- Laundry service
- Housekeeping service
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision & support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with you and your supervisor
- Access to workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flights to Lilongwe
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km) – we can help you arrange this in advance
- Transport to the office
- Data package for internet connection
- Meals: 2 meals (breakfast & lunch/dinner) are included for the first month. For the following months, you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals per day for USD 270 per month.
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote|
|Fundraising research, Fundraising Campaigns, Proposal Writing, Stakeholder Management, Communications|
|2 – 6 months|
|From USD 1,757 (in-person) / USD 625 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”This internship has exceeded my expectations as I wanted to learn about how a nonprofit functions and acquires funding and financial support and I learned a ton about nonprofit work and the difficulties of it. I wrote two applications for grants, wrote a newsletter that was released to our entire community, helped my supervisors decide on a logo, ran the social media for the summer, etc. The most important thing I learned was about the culture and people of Malawi. I was able to talk to multiple Malawian community members and teachers and club leaders and creating connections with people there meant the most to me because with a virtual internship, I didn't know if I'd be able to connect with the people or learn about the culture. Putting in effort to learn about Malawi was the most rewarding thing for me.Julia, United StatesRemote Permaculture Internship
- Gain practical work experience with an international nonprofit organization
- Enjoy a great variety of tasks in the fundraising and communications fields
- Gain a thorough understanding of the fundraising landscape
- Develop your writing and online communications skills
- Contribute to the long term impact of a worthwhile nonprofit initiative
- Have the flexibility of working remotely or live and work in Nkhata Bay on the banks of lake Malawi
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Marketing and Fundraising Internship
- Min 8 weeks
- Cusco, Peru OR Remote
- Marketing, Fundraising, Strategy, Communications
Develop a broad marketing skill set promoting the crucial work being done for Cusco’s most vulnerable young people
Marketing and Fundraising Internship
- Min. 3 months
- Bahia, Brazil
- Digital Marketing, Content creation, Strategy, Fundraising
Build a well-rounded marketing skill set promoting vital work done in a seaside community