Media and Design Internship At Environmental NGO, Cape Town
Gain practical design, photography and video experience at a fast-growing environmental NGO
Are you an innovative graphic designer or someone with a passion for photography or making videos? Are you looking for some valuable work experience? We have an exciting Media and Design internship in Cape Town with a dynamic environmental non profit. Greenpop is a young but fast-growing organization that runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups of people and involve them in their green mission. With their strong focus on well-designed and original communications material, Greenpop often looks for graphic designers, photographers or filmmakers to join their team and contribute to its exciting green message. You’ll get heaps of experience in design and art direction while being part of a high-energy group of people achieving great things.
“I guess not many graphic design students think about doing an internship with a non-profit or social enterprise. But this internship gave me the opportunity to work with a motivated, young team that has inspirational and creative ideas to change their world. The freedom and the way of working in this structure was really good. That combined with the location made me take the plane to South Africa. Cape Town is a vibrant city that is surrounded by a beautiful landscape of mountains, beaches and forest. I had a lot of fun and really liked doing this internship. “
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Graphic Design, photography, videography
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,491 for 8 weeks
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that plants trees through urban greening and reforestation, spreads environmental awareness and activate people through green festivals and workshops across Southern Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 100,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
As an intern at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at their eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
What You’ll Be Doing
As Greenpop actively engages large audiences, they put a strong emphasis on having well-designed communication material, and they often have a need for photography, videography, graphic design interns or volunteers to join their team. Depending on your skills and interests, your tasks as part of the design team include the following:
- Graphic design of posters, flyers, website elements or images for use on social media.
- Support with designs needed for events (f.e. boards, signing) or eco-education (f.e. booklet, info sheets)
- Taking pictures of workshops, events, and other activities taking place.
- Creating videos for workshops, programs, events, and other activities. This can include making storyboards, pre- and post production and/or including graphic elements (or motion graphics) into the videos.
- All interns assist with office support, plant days, workshops, and eco-hub open days.
Examples of projects previous interns have worked on: off- and online campaigns for our events, new design for our container in the nursery, signing for Greenpop vehicles traveling to Zambia, video on the ‘Fynbos for the Future’ project and promotional videos for Greenpop events.
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
For this Media and Design Internship Greenpop is looking for people with the following skills and experience:
- Experience and education in graphic design, photography and/or videography
- Excellent Photoshop , Indesign skills (and ideally other design programs)
- Strong branding and creative strategy skills
- Ability to work with deadlines
- An interest in environmental issues is a plus
- Ideally you’ll bring your own laptop
- In case you are interested in photography/videography: bring your own camera and (video) editing software
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your Media and Design Internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,491
12 weeks – USD 1,961
16 weeks – USD 2,432
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.