Get valuable work experience with an exciting photography project
We have an exciting Marketing Internship opportunity at Penda Photo Tours, a photography workshop company and aligned NGO, the Penda Trust. A young but fast-growing organisation, Penda believes that photography has the power to change lives; both through incredible experiences, and through non-profit projects.
With a main focus on marketing and product research, digital marketing, SEO strategy, and project development, this internship offers a variety of tasks and an opportunity to become a large part of a small team. An interest in photography would be great, but isn’t a must.
NB. This internship is also available as a remote internship.
Penda is a young social enterprise that uses photography to both create amazing experiences and to generate positive change. Penda Photo Tours offers photography workshop around the world; exciting trips that are completely focused on taking amazing pictures. People can, for instance, join Penda to photograph the Big Five in South Africa, to encounter Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda, to learn about street photography in Cuba, or to photograph Brown Bears in Alaska. All workshop are guided by professional photographers, who help participants improve their skills throughout the experience. Penda also believes in the power of photography to do good. Through the Penda Trust, the organization uses photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries. This is done through the following methods:
- Providing grass-roots charities with professional photographs that they can use to raise awareness about their issues and fundraise for their causes. Visual marketing is essential for any charity to get their word across, and good photography is a vital part of this. We identify non-profit organizations in developing countries that will benefit from having professional photographs and document their work.
- Hosting photography workshops for talented young individuals in underprivileged communities. Photography can give people a voice. We identify young individuals with an interest in and talent for photography, and provide workshops where we encourage them to tell their stories, and the stories of their communities, through photography. We teach them creative self-expression, and the power visual images can have. Participants are encouraged to raise awareness about issues that matter most to them, which stimulates positive activism.
- Highlighting important issues by creating and exposing great photography. We fund and organize expositions to present photography that would otherwise not be seen; photography that tells important stories highlights the work of important organizations and gives a communications platform to these causes.
Check out this video about one of the Penda Trust projects
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Penda is a young but fast-growing organization, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of Penda’s development. While a majority of the tasks are related to marketing, we can tailor-make someone’s portfolio according to someone’s skills and experience.
What you’ll do
- Doing marketing research
- Helping develop our marketing strategy
- Helping find strategic partnerships
- Approaching potential partners
- Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
- Helping manage a Google Grant
- Doing fundraising research
- Potentially helping do online fundraising activities
Penda is looking for people who will be excited by being a large part of a small organisation; one that is growing fast. We are ideally looking for interns with the following skills and experience:
- Good English speaking and writing skills
- Some experience with digital marketing is beneficial
- Good research skills
- An ability to work quite independently
- An interest in photography would be beneficial
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at the Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, the Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take four to eight people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
DATES & RATES
The starting and end dates for this Marketing internship are flexible as this internship position is available throughout the year. The duration of the internship can be 8-26 weeks depending on your availability.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 MONTHS USD 1,814
3 MONTHS USD 2,382
4 MONTHS USD 2,949
5 MONTHS USD 3,517
6 MONTHS USD 4,084
Remote internship: USD 525
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
What you are paying for:
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Accommodation based on a dorm room (4-8 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- Free WiFi
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Meals during the weekend
- Transport to the office
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Photography Social Enterprise|
|Digital Marketing, SEO, Marketing Research|
|From USD 1814 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”Overall, I am incredibly happy with my experience. I could not have imagined how much I would learn in just a few months, and it's thanks to this experience that I now approach jobs since then with a sense of confidence that has been vital in making me competent and trustworthy in any professional environment.Grace, United StatesMarketing Internship, Cape Town
- Gain practical experience in digital marketing, SEO, fundraising, and marketing strategy
- Contribute to a social enterprise organizing photo tours but also using photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries.
- Develop your fundraising, strategic marketing, SEO, and research skills
- Possibility to also get involved in writing and content creation
- Live and work in Cape Town, arguably one of the most stunning cities in the world.
Enjoy exploring South Africa’s many highlights during your time off
3 MONTHS USD 2,382
4 MONTHS USD 2,949
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this photography program or internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV and portfolio with us.
We will review your application and discuss it with the supervisor and/or program manager. An interview might be part of the selection process
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this program or internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!