Marketing Internship at Photography Organisation, Cape Town
Get valuable work experience with an exciting photography project
We have an exciting Marketing Internship opportunity at Penda Photo Tours, a photography workshop company and aligned NGO, the Penda Trust. A young but fast-growing organisation, Penda believes that photography has the power to change lives; both through incredible experiences, and through non-profit projects. With a main focus on marketing research, digital marketing, and SEO strategy, this internship offers a variety of tasks and an opportunity to become a large part of a small team. An interest in photography would be great, but isn’t a must.
“Overall, I am incredibly happy with my experience. I could not have imagined how much I would learn in just a few months, and it’s thanks to this experience that I now approach jobs since then with a sense of confidence that has been vital in making me competent and trustworthy in any professional environment.”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Photography Workshop Company & Aligned Non-Profit
- Work Focus Digital Marketing, SEO, Marketing Research
- Length of Internship Minimum of 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee From USD1390 for 8 weeks
Penda is a young social enterprise that uses photography to both create amazing experiences and to generate positive change. Penda Photo Tours offers photography workshop around the world; exciting trips that are completely focused on taking amazing pictures. People can, for instance, join Penda to photograph the Big Five in South Africa, to encounter Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda, to learn about street photography in Cuba, or to photograph Brown Bears in Alaska. All workshop are guided by professional photographers, who help participants improve their skills throughout the experience. Penda also believes in the power of photography to do good. Through the Penda Trust, the organisation uses photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries. This is done through the following methods:
- Providing grass-roots charities with professional photographs that they can use to raise awareness about their issues and fundraise for their causes. Visual marketing is essential for any charity to get their word across, and good photography is a vital part of this. We identify non-profit organisations in developing countries that will benefit from having professional photographs, and document their work.
- Hosting photography workshops for talented young individuals in underprivileged communities. Photography can give people a voice. We identify young individuals with an interest in and talent for photography, and provide workshops where we encourage them to tell their stories, and the stories of their communities, through photography. We teach them creative self-expression, and the power visual images can have. Participants are encouraged to raise awareness about issues that matter most to them, which stimulates positive activism.
- Highlighting important issues by creating and exposing great photography. We fund and organise expositions to present photography that would otherwise not be seen; photography that tells important stories, highlights the work of important organisations, and gives a communications platform to these causes.
You can visit Penda here:
Penda is a young but fast-growing organisation, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of Penda’s development. While a majority of the tasks are related to marketing, we can tailor-made someone’s portfolio according someone’s skills and experience. Your tasks can involve the following:
– Doing marketing research
– Helping develop our marketing strategy
– Helping find strategic partnerships
– Approaching potential partners
– Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
– Helping manage a Google Grant
– Doing fundraising research
– Potentially helping do online fundraising activities
We also offer a Content Writing Internship at Penda – if you’re a keen writer, you might want to check that out too.
And check out this blog post to read about the experience of a recent marketing intern with Penda!
Where You’ll Stay We’re excited to be able to offer you a shared apartment.
- This chic, new shared apartment has a majestic view of Table Mountain and is perfectly positioned in a bustling area during the day but quiet at night so you can sleep easy! The Cape Town Company Gardens, busy Long Street and Kloof Street with world class restaurants are an easy 10 min walk from the Loft
- Cape Town Loft has 1 private room and 2 shared dorm rooms and guests have access to 2 bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a comfortable lounge, balcony and free WiFi.
- You will share a dorm room with 3-5 other people. Bed linen is provided, towels are NOT included.
- It’s a self catering accommodation with a fully equipped kitchen. Meals are NOT included.
If you are interested in a single room or other kind of accommodation, please let us know as we have several other options available as well.
Requirements Penda is looking for people who will be excited by being a large part of a small organisation; one that is growing fast. We are ideally looking for interns with the following skills and experience:
- Good English speaking and writing skills
- Some experience with digital marketing is beneficial
- Good research skills
- An ability to work quite independently
- An interest in photography would be beneficial
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
The Application Process If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to Penda, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The starting and end dates for this Marketing internship are flexible as this internship position is available throughout the year. The duration of the internship can be 8-26 weeks depending on your availability.
At Roots we do everything we can to make your work placement experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great match makers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. These fees are based on a shared dorm room in a beautiful central Cape Town apartment. If you are interested in another kind of accommodation or a single room, please let us know. You can come for any length of time (min 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
8 weeks – USD 1,390 (2017) / USD 1,446 (2018)
12 weeks – USD 1,810 (2017) / USD 1,894 (2018)
16 weeks – USD 2,230 (2017) / USD 2,342 (2018)
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees based on a shared dorm room.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day.
- Placement fee (USD 550) for finding you the right internship, assistance with your visa, organizing accommodation and transport, preparations and support to you and host organisation before, during and after your placement. *Each year several internship spaces are reserved for South African citizens where placement fee will be waived.
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities