Marketing Internship at Photography Organization, Cape Town
Get valuable work experience with an exciting photography project
We have an exciting Marketing Internship opportunity at Penda Photo Tours, a photography workshop company and aligned NGO, the Penda Trust. A young but fast-growing organisation, Penda believes that photography has the power to change lives; both through incredible experiences, and through non-profit projects. With a main focus on marketing research, digital marketing, and SEO strategy, this internship offers a variety of tasks and an opportunity to become a large part of a small team. An interest in photography would be great, but isn’t a must.
“Overall, I am incredibly happy with my experience. I could not have imagined how much I would learn in just a few months, and it’s thanks to this experience that I now approach jobs since then with a sense of confidence that has been vital in making me competent and trustworthy in any professional environment.”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Photography Workshop Company & Aligned Non-Profit
- Work Focus Digital Marketing, SEO, Marketing Research
- Length of Internship Minimum of 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee From USD 1,536 for 8 weeks
Penda is a young social enterprise that uses photography to both create amazing experiences and to generate positive change. Penda Photo Tours offers photography workshop around the world; exciting trips that are completely focused on taking amazing pictures. People can, for instance, join Penda to photograph the Big Five in South Africa, to encounter Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda, to learn about street photography in Cuba, or to photograph Brown Bears in Alaska. All workshop are guided by professional photographers, who help participants improve their skills throughout the experience. Penda also believes in the power of photography to do good. Through the Penda Trust, the organization uses photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries. This is done through the following methods:
- Providing grass-roots charities with professional photographs that they can use to raise awareness about their issues and fundraise for their causes. Visual marketing is essential for any charity to get their word across, and good photography is a vital part of this. We identify non-profit organizations in developing countries that will benefit from having professional photographs and document their work.
- Hosting photography workshops for talented young individuals in underprivileged communities. Photography can give people a voice. We identify young individuals with an interest in and talent for photography, and provide workshops where we encourage them to tell their stories, and the stories of their communities, through photography. We teach them creative self-expression, and the power visual images can have. Participants are encouraged to raise awareness about issues that matter most to them, which stimulates positive activism.
- Highlighting important issues by creating and exposing great photography. We fund and organize expositions to present photography that would otherwise not be seen; photography that tells important stories highlights the work of important organizations and gives a communications platform to these causes.
Check out this video about one of the Penda Trust projects
You can visit Penda here:
Penda is a young but fast-growing organization, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of Penda’s development. While a majority of the tasks are related to marketing, we can tailor-make someone’s portfolio according to someone’s skills and experience. Your tasks can involve the following:
- Doing marketing research
- Helping develop our marketing strategy
- Helping find strategic partnerships
- Approaching potential partners
- Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
- Helping manage a Google Grant
- Doing fundraising research
- Potentially helping do online fundraising activities
We also offer a Content Writing Internship at Penda – if you’re a keen writer, you might want to check that out too.
And read this blog post about the experience of another marketing intern with Penda!
NB. Please note this internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
Requirements Penda is looking for people who will be excited by being a large part of a small organisation; one that is growing fast. We are ideally looking for interns with the following skills and experience:
- Good English speaking and writing skills
- Some experience with digital marketing is beneficial
- Good research skills
- An ability to work quite independently
- An interest in photography would be beneficial
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
The Application Process If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to Penda, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The starting and end dates for this Marketing internship are flexible as this internship position is available throughout the year. The duration of the internship can be 8-26 weeks depending on your availability.
You can come for any length of time (minimum 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
8 weeks – USD 1,536
12 weeks – USD 2,028
16 weeks – USD 2,521
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.