Build an impressive portfolio whilst saving forests and changing lives in the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest
Calling all content creators and photographers with passion for conservation! This is an incredible opportunity to live and work in the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest, work on the frontline of biodiversity conservation, and build a varied portfolio of content.
This program places you with a longstanding and accomplished organization that works to restore Brazil’s Atlantic Rainforest and reverse the effects of the climate crisis. Established in 1999, the multifaceted organization runs a range of programs including reforestation projects, seedling nurseries, medicinal plant research, educational programs, and community outreach. So, there is an array of content to be created to spread word of the vital work they do.
As an intern, you’ll use your skills in graphic design, photography, videography, and marketing strategy as you document and promote the organization’s achievements. You’ll also get the chance to understand their work first hand as you contribute to and participate in their various conservation and sustainability projects. This is a versatile program ideal for the young content creator with an interest in conservation, or a young conservationist looking to learn the basics of content creation.
Founded in 1999, Iracambi is an accomplished conservation and sustainability focused non-profit organization located in one of the world’s most biodiverse regions: the Brazilian Atlantic Forest. Their mission is to help reverse the effects of the climate crisis by restoring the rainforest.
They take a multi-faceted approach to this mission. Not only do they proactively plant their trees, they also work with local communities to create a paradigm shift by which the preservation and sustainable use of the forest is more attractive than its destruction. Among their projects are research into medicinal plants, huge-scale reforestation, and educational programs in local schools and communities. They’ve also hosted thousands of researchers, volunteers and interns and their alumni can be found in academia, business, the arts, and government across the world.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
This program requires an adaptable and enterprising intern. One with excellent written communication skills, a talent with a camera, social media know-how, and ideally experience in fundraising and marketing. You’ll be set assignments to report on various projects but also have space to follow your own initiative. You’ll also be writing from your own experience as you’ll have plenty of opportunity to get involved in the work yourself
What you’ll do
- Writing up research findings
- Writing copy for blogs, webpages, and other online channels
- Producing informational resources to be used in educational programs and community outreach
- Photographing and videoing work on various projects
- Editing photos and videos, preparing them for online publication
- Assisting with marketing and fundraising strategy
- Participating in ongoing work such as reforestation, seedling nursery maintenance, medicinal plant research, and educational programs
- Ideally an academic background or prior experience in marketing or fundraising
- Excellent written communication skills
- Confidence with social media
- Photography and/or videography skills (editing skills are a bonus)
- A passion for biodiversity conservation and sustainability
- Fluent language skills in English; Portuguese isn’t a must can help connecting with locals
- A willingness to get involved with a variety of hands-on conservation work
- The ability to withstand the challenging climate and conditions of the rainforest
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll stay at the Iracambi Research Center, located in the outskirts of the Serra do Brigadeiro State Park 12 kilometers from the nearest city, Rosário da Limeria. Facilities at the center include accommodation for researchers, interns and visitors, a computer lab, field laboratory, their multi-use Forest House, forest nursery, and systems of forest trails. You’ll either be in the main house or in one of their cozy cabins and take all your meals at their on-site restaurant.
The center is located in the Atlantic Forest of Brazil that lies between Rio Grande do Norte and Rio Grande do Sul, stretching from the coast to the inland mountains. At an altitude ranging between 800 to 1300 meters, the forest’s vegetation and biomes have a great diversity including humid tropical forest, semi-deciduous tropical forest, low montane forest and mangrove swamps.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,032
12 weeks USD 3,048
16 weeks USD 4,064
20 weeks USD 5,080
26 weeks USD 6,604
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Shared accommodation in the main house or one of the cabins
- Three meals a day
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision & support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with you and your supervisor
- Access to workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flight to Sao Paolo / Rio de Janeiro (recommended)
- Bus & taxi transfers to the research centers
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Serra do Brigadeiro State Park, Brazil|
|Nature Conservation NGO|
|Content creation, writing, photography, marketing|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,032|
- Gain international experience in marketing and fundraising within a nonprofit context
- Develop a range of skills in content creation including copywriting, photography, and videography
- Produce a varied portfolio of content
- Build an expansive understanding of biodiversity conservation and sustainability
- Live and work in the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Wildlife Photography Internship
- 8 weeks
- Greater Kruger, South Africa
- Photography, Conservation
Photograph lions, leopards, elephants, and many more animals, while sharpening your skills.
Humanitarian Photography Program
- 2-4 weeks
- Malawi, South Africa, & Zambia
- Humanitarian Photography
Use your photography skills to make an impact during this unique volunteer program.
Nonprofit Photography Internship
- 3-8 weeks
- Cape Town, South Africa
Sharpen your photography skills and contribute to important nonprofit initatives at the same time.