Conservation and Photography Internship in South Africa
Bring your photography skills to the next level and support conservation initiatives.
Are you passionate about photography, keen to improve your skills more and have an interest in wildlife conservation? Photography can be used to increase awareness of conservation and other local and global issues. With this Conservation and Photography Internship in South Africa, in the Greater Kruger Area, you will bring your wildlife photography skills to the next level and support wildlife conservation initiatives at the same time. Be prepared for early starts to take the most beautiful pictures, increase your knowledge of wildlife, habitats, ecosystems and assist with conservation education in the community.
“This has been a once in a lifetime experience. I came to the project knowing far less than I even thought about both my camera and the art of photography, but the team have taught, encouraged and pushed my boundaries. The difference between the photos I produced at the start of the trip, to the photos I have produced in the final week, are almost incomparable as I have improved so much.”
- Destination Greater Kruger Area
- Type of Organization Wildlife conservation
- Work Focus Photography, Conservation
- Length of internship 12 weeks or longer
- Accommodation Dorm room in lodge
- Fee USD 7,732
This organization is a social development company that is driven by six individual causes that have been developed through our long-term relationships and experience with communities and volunteering in Africa. These causes motivate, excites and focuses our vision and allow them to offer internships that contribute to wider causes in Africa. As responsible leaders, they are committed to supporting our professional internship portfolio, all of which are unique in support and celebrated results. Through cultural immersion, the internships give individuals the ability to incorporate academic and experiential learning outside the classroom.
They also have a photographic database to support conservation charities and the photographs you take during this internship will also be added to that database. They are free to use for conservation charities for awareness and fundraising efforts. Profit-making organizations have to purchase the images, and the money goes directly into wildlife research projects. You will be credited wherever possible. In addition, your pictures will be used for educational purposes at for example schools in surrounding communities.
- Photography: your primary focus will be on wildlife photography (big and small) but you will also have plenty of opportunities to take photos of f.e. landscapes, people, star skies, etc.
- Photo editing: editing of (some) of your best photographs
- Conservation: physical conservation activities to help restore habitats and ecosystems such as clearing encroaching bus and removing invasive plants species.
- Education: assist with conservation education in primary and high schools to increase awareness.
- Personal assignment: together with your mentor you will decide on your personal photography assignment.
- Attend presentations on wildlife, habitats, ecology, and threats they face.
- Attend critique sessions where you will assess others’ photographs and analyze them.
During this internship you will:
- Improve your (wildlife) photography skills and build an amazing portfolio
- Learn how to use pre-visualisation, production, and editing to form your own definitive photography style
- Use your photographs for a higher purpose and learn how to use photography as a conservation and education tool.
- Be inspired and learn from the work of other photographers.
- Learn and understand more about South Africa’s wildlife, it’s habitats and ecosystems, and the people.
You are based in the Greater Kruger Area just 45 minutes from world-famous Kruger National Park and 30 minutes from Nelspruit. The lodge is situated on 18 hectares of land with impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. There are a swimming pool, bar and plenty of space to relax and socialize with the others. At weekends you can visit the surrounding area (like the world-famous Blyde River Canyon). The team is there to help you organize your day and overnight trips. You will be sharing a dorm room with other interns or volunteers.
- Creative eye: Great photography is about the imagination and ‘eye’ of the photographer, so we are looking for people with a creative eye. While it’s hard to make our animals, landscapes, and people look anything other than spectacular, it is possible to capture something in a photo that will tell a story and take your breath away
- Camera skills: You will need to be confident with your camera and have a good working knowledge of how to use it.
- Software skills: A working knowledge of editing software like Lightroom is also essential. Experience of photo editing software such as Photoshop would be an added bonus.
- Positivity and Passion: While interning and living in South Africa, the bush will bring its own unique challenges that will require you to be patient, positive and flexible!
How to apply?
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Please transfer your motivational letter, CV/Resume and 10-20 of your best images to email@example.com using a free tool such as WeTranfer.com. The images must be in JPEG format and no bigger than 5MB, but can be of any subject of your choosing that shows your talent for a wide range of genres.
- We’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match. NB. Upon arrival at the lodge, your skills will be evaluated further, which will enable the team to learn what you are capable of and allow them to build your skillset from there.
- There might be a second interview as part of the selection process.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
Dates and Fees
See below for the starting dates in 2018. The fee for the 12-week programme is USD 7,732. Longer stays are possible upon request.
|14, 28 January||6, 20 May||9, 23 September|
|11, 25 February||3, 17 June||7, 21 October|
|11, 25 March||1, 15, 29 July||4, 18 November|
|8, 22 April||12, 26 August||2, 16 December|
This fee includes the following:
- Airport pick-up and drop-off.
- Accommodation and three meals a day
- All work-related transport
- 24-hour support from experienced staff
- Full orientation, training, and guidance from our team including mentorship from a professional photographer.
Not included are:
- Costs for visa, medical and travel insurance
- Flights to your chosen destination
- Items of a personal nature, including gifts, snacks, alcohol, weekend trips, and other non-project activities