Experience the challenges of public health care in an underdeveloped area of remote Peru
Live and work in the outskirts of the Peruvian Amazon and gain valuable experience at a local health center offering medical support and assistance. This is an ideal program for a medical or nursing student to learn and give back whilst experiencing this incredible natural beauty of this remote corner of Peru.
This conservation-focused organization’s overall goal is to produce a long-lasting change in the way local communities interact with the rainforest. They work towards this through a range of programs including youth empowerment, education, and promoting tourism in the region. Their intention is to reduce poverty by providing new job opportunities, thus diminishing the reliance on environmentally harmful activities and financially incentivising sustainable practices in the area. As part of this work, they provide medical support to the healthcare system in Puerto Inca, a remote province of the Huánuco region which struggles with poor infrastructure, overcrowding, and limited resources.
Your role as an intern to help provide this medical support. There are a range of departments in need of help so the exact nature of your work will be determined by your training and qualifications. In all cases though, you can expect packed days dealing with the chaotic demands of healthcare provision in a rural, underdeveloped area. This could be administering vaccinations, suturing wounds, conducting physical examinations, or any number of other things.
This is a conservation-focused NGO based on the outskirts of the Peruvian Amazon working to protect the rainforest through youth empowerment and community development. They have a series of goals aimed to reduce poverty and drive sustainable development in the local region including improving education for children for the area, teaching English skills, and creating infrastructure for tourism. They believe that by building skills and creating new job opportunities, they can curtail activities that harm the rainforest and incentivize its conservation.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Interns will assist with the day-to-day running of this rural community’s healthcare center. This will be demanding, challenging, unpredictable work but incredibly rewarding too. As well as this more general medical support, interns will have the chance to specialize depending on their expertise and interests. Interns could focus their time on general medicine, obstetrics, nursing, psychology, odontology, pharmaceuticals, or lab work.
What you’ll do
- Helping doctors with physical exams and patient check ups
- Administering vaccination and giving injections
- Assisting with minor surgeries
- Taking patient histories
- Suturing wounds
- Taking vital signs, checking height, weight and blood pressure
- Qualified doctors will provide support in different areas according to their medical experience.
- Must be studying towards or have completed a degree in medicine, nursing, midwifery, dentistry, or related field
- Prior experience and qualifications are required for specialized work
- Intermediate Spanish language skills
- Strong interest in the provision of healthcare in underdeveloped countries
- Open mind and flexible attitude
- Ability to thrive under pressure
- Willingness to live and work in challenging conditions of the rainforest
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be based in Puerto Inca in the Huánuco region of Peru. This is an area of stunning natural beauty situated along the Sira Mountains in the Amazon Rainforest and bisected by the Pachitea River. The majority of the population lives off farming but deep within the jungle native communities still upholding their customs and traditions can be found too. As well as its extraordinary biodiversity, the area is famed for a number of geological and archaeological sites you can visit during your internship.
Interns stay in one of the cabins in Puerto Inca. You’ll have all the basic amenities like showers, long drop compost toilets, beds with mosquito nets, WIFI, and a kitchen where you can cook for yourself. This is very basic accommodation with limited resources, so this program is best suited to interns accustomed to a more stripped back way of life.
DATES & RATES
Internship start on a Monday and it’s recommended to arrive on weekends, so you can explore Puerto Incas before you start your internship on Monday. Start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with you during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,601
12 weeks USD 3,259
16 weeks USD 3,918
20 weeks USD 4,576
26 weeks USD 5,564
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Shared accommodation in one of the huts in Puerto Inca with access to basic amenities, cooking facilities, and WIFI
- Breakfast & lunch during working days. You will need to cook your own food during evening time and weekends
- Transfer from/to the airport of Pucallpa or bus station (ride from Pucallpa to Puerto
Inca takes 3 hours approximately)
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your internship
- Regular check-ins and feedback from your supervisor
- Spanish classes (4 hours per week). Extra classes can be booked at an additional fee
- Activities: five trips to different spots in the rainforest including camping trip as well as fruit picking and an artisanal making chocolate workshop
- Access to workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Daily transport to the clinic. It’s a 10-15 minute walk, but if you don’t want to walk, you can take a tuk tuk
- Meals during weekends and evenings
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Puerto Inca, Peru|
|Medical, Healthcare, Community outreach|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,601|
- Gain medical experience in nonprofit context
- Option to specialize and build on prior experience
- Experience the challenges of healthcare in remote Peru
- Provide life-saving medical support to an underprivileged community
- Contribute to conservation of the Amazon Rainforest
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Remote Mental Health Research Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Data collection & analysis, Reporting, Research, Public health
Make a valuable contribution to the fight to improve mental health support in Brazil
Public Health and WASH Engineering Internship
- Min. 3 months
- Shandia, Ecuador
- Education, Research, Operations, Construction, Engineering, Public Health
Help a rural community develop systems for clean water, sanitation, and hygiene
Program Management Internship
- 8-26 weeks
- Cape Town, South Africa
- program management, health education, monitoring
Gain field experience educating young women and girls on Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights