An exciting opportunity to independently develop mental or physical care programs
Travel to Cambodia and help an organization offer comprehensive mental, medical, and social support to families who are in the process of breaking the cycle of poverty. This is a versatile internship, ideal for the young psychologist, social worker, or medic who’s ready to use their initiative and expertise to help make a difference in the world.
You’ll work with an organization dedicated to reducing poverty in Siem Reap through a variety of 11 integrated programs revolving around the core offerings of education, nutrition and health. When a child is enrolled, the organization provides all-rounded support to the child’s family. Their goal is to provide children with quality education and a safe space to learn and grow so that they can find fair employment in adulthood.
As an intern, you’ll be working to maintain and develop the organization’s mental or physical development programs and assisting their local team of social workers. Your internship experience will help fill in gaps in skills and knowledge among their local team, introduce new practices and structure regarding mental health care and social work support.
This organization is a social impact nonprofit focussed on breaking the cycle of poverty and reducing the socio-economic gap in Siem Reap, Cambodia through education. REACH provides English classes alongside a range of 11 integrated programs.
They take a more holistic approach to most education initiatives and when enrolling children into their school they provide their families with all-rounded support. Their aim is to provide children with both quality education and a safe environment to grow so that one day they can find fair employment and break free from poverty.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
This is the ideal internship for the intern ready to assist the local team of social workers to continue developing the Outreach program. This will include monitoring progress of programs, devising development strategies, and training staff members.
What you’ll do
- Monitor impact and progress of programs
- Identify strengths and areas for development
- Devise plans and strategies to improve care programs
- Write reports of progress
- Train staff about mental health, counseling, child psychology, first aid, sexual health, and dealing with patients
- Creating informational resources and visual posters for first aid, hygiene, physical health, and public health
- Working with children permit or valid police check
- Must be studying towards or have completed a degree in psychology, social work, medicine, or related field
- Prior experience in social work or healthcare is a bonus
- Fluent English skills
- Passion for community uplift, education, and social impact
- Independent and responsible
- Enterprise and intuition
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be based in Siem Reap, Cambodia’s second-largest city and the capital of Siem Reap Province. The city boasts a blend of French colonial and Chinese architectural influences and offers an array of attractions including museums, traditional Apsara dance performances, a Cambodian cultural village, and a diverse cuisine and nightlife. Most notably, Siem Reap is home to the renowned Angkor Wat temples pictured on Cambodia’s flag.
Accommodation is organized on a case-by-case basis from a selection of guesthouses and hotels. Each location is well-equipped with comfortable rooms, laundry, a kitchen, and Wifi. Interns will also have the option to take their meals at the organization’s center.
DATES & RATES
Internship dates are flexible. The exact start and end dates will be discussed with you during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
The rate depends on the type of accommodation you choose, but they start at:
12 weeks USD 1,526
16 weeks USD 1,797
20 weeks USD 2,069
26 weeks USD 2,477
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An academic internship eligible for university credit. Check with your university to confirm if this internship qualifies for credit or alternatively we can assist you with purchasing transfer credits.
- Accommodation in a single room, please contact us for availability and prices.
- Airport transfers upon arrival and departure
- Prepare your own meals at the accommodation or you can join for two meals (9.30AM/3:30PM at the organization’s center
- Wifi access
- Assistance with your visa arrangement and other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with your supervisor
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flights to Siem Reap
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Transport to the office
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Siem Reap, Cambodia|
|Social Impact / Education NGO|
|Program Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, Training|
|Min. 3 months|
|From USD 1,526|
- Gain international work experience in a nonprofit context
- Develop your skills in program development and team management
- Make a tangible difference for children and their families
- Live and work in Cambodia
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
- Min 10 weeks
- Cusco, Peru
- Psychology, Gender Equality, Education
Gain practical psychology experience supporting young girls from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds in Cusco, Peru
Community Healthcare Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Puerto Inca, Peru
- Medical, Healthcare, Community outreach
Offer medical support and assistance at a local health center in the Peruvian Amazon
Remote Mental Health Research Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Data collection & analysis, Reporting, Research, Public health
Make a valuable contribution to the fight to improve mental health support in Brazil