TEACH BASKETBALL AND SOCCER TO TALENTED YOUNG PEOPLE IN GHANA
If you’re aiming to work in the sports sector, or if you’re just passionate about coaching sports and want to have an international work adventure, this could be a great internship for you! This sports internship in Ghana allows you to join a passionate team in offering inspiring sports programs to talented young people.
You’ll join the Impact Youth Foundation, a charity that offers sports coaching as a tool to inspire and uplift youth in underserved rural communities. By teaching basketball and soccer, the Impact Youth programs teach life skills, nurture talent, and boost confidence in kids that need it.
As a sports coaching intern, you’ll help plan and facilitate sports sessions. You’ll teach group sessions to young kids, and you’ll help nurture the talent of young people who have been scouted. There’s also the opportunity to assist with project management, fundraising, and overall program development.
|Sports Coaching & Program Development|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
The Impact Youth Foundation is a nonprofit organisation that offers sports coaching in a rural community in Ghana. The nonprofit uses sports – and particularly basketball – as a tool for equipping people with relevant life skills, and allowing at-risk youth to pursue successful careers. Through their different programs, Impact Youth provides mentoring to talented kids, as well as sports classes for the community at large, in an effort to encourage healthy living and boost confidence in kids. In addition, they offer vocational training and apprenticeships to equip young people with employability skills.
The Impact Youth Foundation is based in a village on the outskirts of Accra, Ghana’s capital. Most sports training happens there, though the organization also runs sports programs in Accra and Kumasi.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
During this sports coaching internship in Ghana, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks, which – depending on your skills and experience – can include;
- Planning and leading weekly basketball, soccer, and volleyball coaching the Impact Youth Sports Village
- Planning and coaching at weekend and holiday basketball camps in the Accra and Kumasi
- Planning and leading weekly group mentorship meetings with students
- Scouting prospective basketball talents boys and girls across the country
- Doing research on Ghana’s school sports industry
- Researching and developing sports-specific sports nutrition and exercise plans for student-athletes
- Assisting with overall development of the programs
- Assisting with planning and organizing fundraising events, if you’re interested
- Great knowledge of different sports, and ideally some coaching experience
- A passion for teaching sports to young people
- A flexible attitude and an ability to adapt quickly to different situations
- Great communication skills
- A passion for the projects you’ll be working on
- A go-getter attitude and ability to work independently
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You can either stay in a private apartment or with a Ghanaian family. If you opt for the apartment, you’ll enjoy a comfortable one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen, lounge, double bedroom, and bathroom. You’ll be about 35 minutes from the Impact Village and you’ll be able to take Ubers or public buses to work.
If you opt for a homestay, we’ll match you with a Ghanaian family who will welcome you into their home. You’ll have your own bedroom and you’ll be offered breakfast and dinner on a daily basis. We’ll work out transportation to and from work for you, depending on where you’ll be based exactly.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,453
10 weeks USD 2,915
12 weeks USD 3,377
14 weeks USD 3,839
16 weeks USD 4,301
18 weeks USD 4,763
20 weeks USD 5,225
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flight to Ghana
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Daily transport to the office
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Sports Coaching & Project Development|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,453|
- Gain practical sports coaching experience
- Learn about sports as a tool for generating positive change, and gain insights into the nonprofit sector
- Be part of an exciting initiative that provides sports coaching in an underserved community in Ghana
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Live and work in rural Ghana
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!