Contribute to important women’s empowerment projects during an education-focused internship in Livingstone, Zambia
You can join this internship remotely or in-person. Either way, you’ll gain hands-on experience in the development of educational material, and you’ll make your mark on an inspiring project that uplifts girls and women in this African community.
As an education intern, you’ll be part of Baobuyu Learning Center, a nonprofit organization that works in a rural area on the outskirts of Livingstone, a welcoming town a stone’s throw away from the Victoria Falls. (You can often see the spray of the falls from the project!) Baobuyu runs a community center that serves as a pre-school in the mornings, offering high quality education to kids in the community, and as a workshop space in the afternoons. One of the focus areas of the workshops is health education for girls and women.
Your role will be to help develop (and run, if you’re working in the field) these workshops. This can involve research, creating visual and interactive materials, and helping develop the initiative as a whole. It’s a wonderful opportunity to play a vital role in a grassroots level gender equality project.
Baobuyu Learning Center is a community center that provides a large number of educational programs to the local community. It’s based in Mwandi, a rural community on the outskirts of Livingstone that deals with a lack of opportunities and resources. The center was established in 2016, and has since grown into an important hub with a varied program of free workshops and classes.
During the mornings, the center provides primary education for children aged 2 to 6. The goal is to provide free education to children who might otherwise not have access to quality schooling. During the afternoons, the center becomes the venue of a number of clubs and workshops, including;
- Skill development workshops that encourage entrepreneurship and teach practical skills such as woodcarving, cooking, and gardening.
- A support group for teenage girls that allows them to share worries and stories, and encourages some creative fun activities.
- A recycling club that teaches both kids and adults about waste management, upcycling, and eco-bricking.
- A women’s group that aims to empower women and improve their quality of life. This involves skill development workshops, education on healthy living, and entrepreneurial support.
- Health workshops that offer important information on a number of diseases and viruses that are prevalent in Zambia, such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria – as well as mental health issues. The workshops are a safe place for people to share their stories and for people to learn about preventing diseases, first aid, and healthy eating.
- A chess club that offers both classes and tournaments for keen community members.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
- Depending on your skills and experience, your tasks will include;
- Do research into issues and stigmas girls and women face in Zambia
- Do research into effective educational tools
- Develop a range of education materials
- Assist with running workshops, mostly focused on health issues
- Assist with the overall development of the Baobuyu programs
- If you’re interested, assist with communications and/or fundraising
- Good written and verbal English skills
- Ideally a background in education
- An interest in female empowerment
- Ideally some knowledge of health issues facing African communities
- A good level of flexibility
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Minimum age of 21 years (due to visa regulations) – does not apply for remote internship
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will be based in Livingstone, a town that’s famous for the Victoria Falls, but there is plenty more to see and do in your spare time. Take a stroll at one of the local markets and enjoy the friendliness of the Zambian population. Or if you are more adventurous, think about rafting the mighty Zambezi river or a bungee jump of the bridge. And there are plenty of opportunities in the area to go on a safari. Never a dull moment in Livingstone.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee. You’ll stay in a shared house near Baobuyu Learning Center, together with the founder of the organization and a couple of others. It’s a basic but very comfortable house in a nice area of Livingstone, a 20-minute stroll into the center of the town. The house has three bedrooms, plenty of living space, and a large garden. There are three dogs at the property. You’ll share a room and bathroom with one other person.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates for the internship with this organization are flexible and will be discussed during the application proces.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,630
12 weeks USD 2,106
16 weeks USD 2,582
20 weeks USD 3,057
26 weeks USD 3,770
Remote internship: USD 525
What you are paying for:
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Transfer from Livingstone airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Daily transport to the project
- Pre-departure information
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Supervision and support on the ground
- Flights to Livingstone
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Livingstone, Zambia OR Remote|
|Facilitation, Research, Education|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,630 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”I had a wonderful time working with roots and my placement organization. I was walked through the interview process and enjoyed how well heard I was. My interests, schedule, and goals were taken into account at every turn. I felt supported during my stay and the accommodations were very nice.Shelby, Education Internship Female Empowerment, United States
One of the best parts about this internship was how flexible it was. At the beginning this was a bit of a challenge but once you find your own rhythm and goals, its the best. I did everything from working one-on-one with a few of the kids from the school, facilitate girl power group, facilitate lesson plans with teachers, help create a business plan, mission and vision statement, and so much more. Each day was new and different, a real adventure. My whole experience was so pleasant that I decided to come back after my internship and I'll be staying here for the rest of the year! My life has been changed for the better because of this experience.
- Be part of an inspiring female empowerment initiative in a welcoming environment
- Enjoy a great variety of tasks, including assisting with programs on the ground
- Gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector
- Boost your resume with practical experience in developing education materials
- Contribute to the long term impact of a worthwhile nonprofit initiative
- Live and work in Livingstone, a friendly Zambian town with a stunning location (or work remotely, if you prefer)
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!