Communications Internship in Cape Town
Gain practical work experience in communications, creative writing, and digital marketing.
Join us as a Communications Intern in Cape Town! We’re excited to offer this varied work experience opportunity with our small but dynamic team. You’ll get involved with managing our social media, helping us develop our various communications channels, and writing online content. While you’ll mainly be office based, you’ll have the opportunity to spend time with some of the nonprofit organisations we work with around Cape Town to help tell their stories – and the stories of the international interns that are working with them. It’s a great opportunity to gain practical work experience in the many aspects of communications, to experience some grassroots humanitarian and environmental work, and to make your mark on a growing company with a do-good mission.
You can expect to get involved in some of the following areas;
- Social media managements
- Online content management
- Blog writing
- Writing newsletters
During this Communications Internship in Cape Town you’ll have weekends off, which allows you to experience some of the many highlights this stunning place has to offer.
NB. This internship can now also be done as a remote internship!
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Organisation Roots Interns
- Work Focus Communications, Social Media, Digital Marketing
- Length of Internship Minimum of 8 weeks
- Accommodation Several options
- Fee From $1136
At Roots Interns, we are on a mission to support grassroots nonprofits across Africa and offer unique work experiences for international interns. We place skilled interns with the right cause, and ensure that their internship is a hugely valuable experience for everyone involved. All our interns become a large part of a small organisation with an important cause; this allows for great professional and personal growth, and it also contributes to the important work that is happening at a grass-roots level in Africa; a beautiful offshoot of mutual growth. We offer over 45 different internship program – with a wide range of academic focus areas – across seven different African countries. We take great pride in the impact we make on both our interns and our partner organisations.
Roots is a young organisation, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of our development. While a majority of the tasks are related to communications, but you can be involved marketing and strategy of Roots as well. In addition, it will be an opportunity for you to interact with and learn about other grassroots charities and the interns volunteering with them. We can adjust tasks to your skills, interests and experience.
As a communications intern at our office in Cape Town, you’ll like be involved in the following;
- Managing our social media channels
- Writing blogs, both on our website and for external sites
- Assisting with formulation our communication strategy
- Writing newsletters
- Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
- Learning and writing about the work our non-profit partners are doing
- Interact with interns placed with our partners to collect content about their experiences, work of the organizations and impact they are making
There also is a communications Internship available.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
- Strong English writing skills
- Good storytelling skills
- Interest/passion for creating content (on social media and blog)
- Some experience with social media and/or marketing is beneficial
- An ability to work quite independently
- Your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
The start date of your internship is flexible; please get in touch to find out when we have openings.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,136
12 weeks – USD 1,628
16 weeks – USD 2,121
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment – other accommodation options are available and fees will vary
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities