Enjoy a truly unique work experience as a Charity Development intern in Uganda!
You’ll be part of a nonprofit organisation that teaches music lessons to kids who wouldn’t be able to afford musical instruments. The charity thoroughly believes that through music lessons, kids learn valuable life lessons, and gain a huge amount of motivation and inspiration.
As an intern, you’ll help with the overall development of this nonprofit initiative. This will involve exploring a variety of fundraising opportunities, helping design and implement a communications strategy, and putting systems in place for monitoring and evaluation. It’s a hugely varied and rewarding work experience. You’ll be guided by a digital marketing and fundraising expert based in South Africa, who will check in with you regularly.
Not unimportantly, you’ll get to live in Uganda; a stunning and welcoming country that offers a wealth of travel opportunities.
To qualify for this internship in Uganda, you’ll need to have a self-starter and flexible attitude, a passion for nonprofit work, and an ability to take on a great variety of tasks.
You’ll gain a thorough understanding of social impact projects on a grassroots level
You’ll learn about different fundraising mechanisms and how to utilize them effectively
You’ll enjoy a full cultural immersion experience, as you’ll be living in a rural community in Uganda
The Living Music Foundation, founded in 2017, is an NGO based in Mbarara, Uganda. Their passion is music, and having seen the transformative impact that the performing arts can have on children in developing countries (and around the world), they have devoted their work to sharing this gift. The founders of the Living Music Foundation believe that exposure to music can provide children with many positive life skills, including commitment and discipline. It also builds character and helps develop self-esteem.
Their main goal is to provide music lessons for children who are economically or socially challenged. By offering music lessons free of charge, they provide an outlet for kids who are lacking family or community support. The lessons take place either in their Mbarara centre as well as in the home communities of the children. Music is meant to be shared, and once the children develop their skills, they are able to share their talent with their communities, creating a happy and uplifting atmosphere for everyone.
TASKS & REQUIreMENTS
As a charity development intern, you’ll help to raise the profile of the Living Music Foundation in a number of ways. Your tasks will include;
- Creating and managing social media channels
- Helping develop digital media strategies
- Doing fundraising research
- Putting funding proposals and grant applications together
- Designing and running online fundraising campaigns
- Helping put monitoring and evaluation tools in place
- Helping design effective communications channels with (potential) donors
- Strong writing skills and fluency in English
- An ability to work very independently
- A flexible and resourceful approach
- A passion for the work the Living Music Foundation is doing
- Strong communication skills
- A strong desire to learn a great deal!
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship you will be provided with the opportunity to stay with a local family. This homestay arrangement is the best way to get to know the community you will be living in for 2-4 months. Plus, you won’t have to miss that family feeling while you are away from home. A homestay allows you to be immersed in the local culture and have guidance and support during your stay. If requested, we can also provide alternative accommodation options at a hostel or apartment; fees will vary.
Safety & Support
Uganda presents a unique travel experience, and while it is generally safe, it’s important to be aware of certain precautions to ensure your safety during your visit. If you’re out after dark, consider using reputable transportation options like trusted taxis or rideshare services rather than walking.
Uganda, like any other country, has its own unique cultural norms, values, and practices. Engaging respectfully with the local community shows an understanding and appreciation for these cultural differences, which helps to avoid unintentional offense and misunderstanding.
You can opt for international roaming, which requires enabling the service before you depart from your home country. However, if you’re looking for a cost-effective alternative, obtaining a local SIM card is recommended. To acquire a local SIM card and airtime or data bundles, simply visit an MTN or Airtel store, and make sure to have your passport with you for identification purposes.
Your host family will provide you with access to safe drinking water and you will join them for breakfast and dinner (lunch will be had with the staff). Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary requests or restrictions.
During your time in Mbarara, you will have the chance to visit other nearby communities, cultural sites and museums, and game parks to spot wild animals! There will be plenty of opportunities to hike, play sports, go swimming, and do many more fun activities. There are also offer local language lessons offered for those who are interested.
DATES & RATES
This organization has internship opportunities throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
2 months USD 2,179
3 months USD 2,552
4 months USD 2,891
5 months USD 3,229
6 months USD 3,602
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, organize accommodation for you in Uganda, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
- Accommodation based on a homestay option – other accommodation options are available and fees will vary
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airport pick up and drop off from Kampala Airport
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Kampala
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
“I surely enjoyed the landscapes of Uganda, the wonderful nature and wildlife. I loved the company of the children, that make you smile no matter what, and of the local people, who were interested in my country as much as I was keen to learn more about Uganda.I loved discovering the traditions and history of this beautiful country, and I think that the most precious lesson I learnt during my in Africa was that every culture has a lot to teach.”Simona, ItalySustainable Development Internship, Uganda
- Help spread the power of music to children from disadvantaged backgrounds in Uganda
- Be a large part of a small nonprofit, and help take it to the next level
- Learn about the running of a nonprofit organisation on a grassroots level
- Gain practical experience in fundraising and communications in the nonprofit sector
- Live in and work in a welcoming rural community in Uganda; a truly unique immersive experience
- Enjoy amazing travel opportunities in your time off
Project Assistant Internship
- Min. 3 months
- Recinto La Esperie, Ecuador
- Coordination, Fundraising, Communications
Social Internship in Amsterdam
- 3-6 months
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Social work, Project coordination, Digital Marketing
NGO Management Internship
- 8-26 weeks
- Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote
- Event Management, Fundraising, Digital Marketing