Gain multifaceted working experience doing vital work to protect the Cloud Forest
This is an exciting opportunity to see what it takes to manage an NGO whilst assisting with a variety of conservation research projects. You’ll travel to the Cloud Forest, work closely with the project manager of an NGO, assist with research, coordinate volunteers, and manage fundraising strategies.
This organization is dedicated to devising and promoting alternative, sustainable means of land use and natural resource management in the Cloud forest. They do incredible work monitoring the flora and fauna of the region with their research. Through this, they provide valuable information to inform conservation solutions and also provide baseline data to measure the impact of climate change. They also develop and support local grassroots initiatives establishing sustainable development and run educational programs teaching conservation techniques to local communities.
As an intern, you’ll be the right hand of their project manager. This role will allow you expansive insight into what goes on behind the scenes of a conservation-based NGO. You’ll get involved with community projects, coordinate volunteers, and have a hand in marketing and fundraising too.
The Tangaré Foundation works to protect the Cloud forest and its wildlife through a combination of research, natural resource management, and environmental education. Based in the La Hesperia Cloud Forest Reserve on the western slope of the Ecuadorian Andes, they work to promote alternative, sustainable models of development in the area.
They achieve this by researching and monitoring flora and fauna in the region, using their findings to develop sustainable methods of land use and natural resource management, then teaching these practices to local communities.
Active since 2009, the organization has already made a significant impact. Their research has helped to identify and protect important habitats for threatened species, such as the Ecuadorian white-fronted capuchin monkey and felines such as puma, ocelot and oncilla. They’ve reduced deforestation by promoting sustainable agriculture and forest management practices. Their educational programs have trained over 1,000 in environmental education and conservation. They are a valuable asset to Ecuador and the region, and its work is essential to the future of the planet.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
This program calls for excellent organizational skills, great communication, and a willingness to get involved with all sorts of work. You’ll be assisting the organization’s project manager which means you can expect a variety of tasks from day to day. It’s a great way to see how different parts of a nonprofit organization operate.
What you’ll do
- Assist Project Manager developing and maintaining research projects and outreach programs
- Coordinating the volunteer house
- Intermediating for volunteers and local team
- Content creation
- Assisting with fundraising, donor mapping, and proposal writing
- Coordinating and facilitating community projects
- Assist with group tours
- Great organizational skill
- A passion for conservation and nonprofit work
- Medium level of Spanish
- Experience with event management or fundraising is a bonus
- Adaptability and resilience
- Minimum duration of three months
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll stay at a dedicated volunteer house with rooms ranging in sizes of 2-6 people, shared bathrooms, and a selection of communal spaces. Excitingly, this volunteer house is located in the heart of the 800 hectare La Hesperia Cloud Forest Reserve.
This is a site of unique importance to Cloud Forest conservation. It is where two of the five biodiversity hotspots in South America converge: the Tropical Andes and the Chocó-Darien. The area has a huge species diversity with a large number of endemic species. It is also a site of an array of sustainable farming practices, including: permaculture garlic farms, chocolate production, coffee production and organic livestock farming.
DATES & RATES
Internships always start on Monday, so no arrival over the weekend, always on Monday.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
Placement fee USD 600
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Accommodation based on a shared room (2-6 pax).
- Three meals a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Academic guidance and support
- On the ground support during your stay
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Access to free workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Transfers from Quito Airport to the reserve
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Recinto La Esperie, Ecuador|
|Nature Conservation NGO|
|Coordination, Fundraising, Communications|
|Min. 3 months|
- Develop project management, event coordination, and leadership skills
- Gain insight into a range of nonprofit work
- Contribute to the furtherment of conservation science
- Play a big role in a small organization
- Live and work in the Cloud Forest
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Social Internship in Amsterdam
- 3-6 months
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Social work, Project coordination, Digital Marketing
Get involved with a wide array of social work, project coordination, and volunteer management.
NGO Management Internship
- 8-26 weeks
- Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote
- Event Management, Fundraising, Digital Marketing
Help this NGO end period poverty and destigmatize menstruation.
Social Entrepreneurship Internship
- 3-6 months
- Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote
- Marketing, Fundraising, Business Development, Research, Operations
Help with the development and management of an inspiring social business.