Join an innovative Ghanaian project focused on sustainable land management
We’re excited to offer this agroforestry research internship with an innovative Ghanaian project focused on sustainable land management.
You’ll be part of OKO Forests, a young but fast-growing project based in Ghana that aims to rehabilitate landscapes by creating agroforestry buffer zones in strategic places. Their thinking is large scale, and their aims ambitious. OKO Forests works in collaboration with European universities to create innovative approaches to reforestation and sustainable land management.
As an intern, you’ll use your academic background to do research that will contribute to OKO Forests’s overall mission. The focus of your research will depend on your particular skills and knowledge, and the needs of the organization at the time you’ll join, but possible topics are adaptation to climate change with planting programs, mitigation of the impact flooding and droughts could have on the project’s areas, and relevant vegetable cultivation within agroforestry areas in Ghana.
As this is a remote internship, you’ll have the flexibility of working remotely, but the opportunity of adding international work experience to your resume.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
OKO is a project on a mission to sustain landscapes through the adoption of regenerative agricultural practices. Based in the heart of Ghana, the OKO team develops innovative agroforestry systems, provides training for groups of local farmers, and finds routes to market for produce. The overall goal is to increase farmers’ yields, improve soil fertility through the adoption of agroforestry practices, and implement sustainable practices at a large scale.
After two years of intense research, OKO was launched in 2016. Their vision is to create replicable models that can be used across the tropics to rehabilitate landscapes at scale. A current key focus is on protecting forest reserves through the establishment of commercial agroforestry buffer zones that create wealth for the communities who live adjacent to the protected sites.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an agroforestry research intern, your tasks will mostly be focused on research that will be customized to your experience. Your tasks will likely include;
- Defining a relevant research topic that will provide valuable information for OKO Forest’s program
- Conducting your own research project, while assisted by the team in Ghana
- Assisting with other tasks within the organization, such as writing online content, writing impact reports, and assisting with stakeholder management
- Relevant academic background
- A strong interest in agroforestry and an innovative approach to your work
- An ability to work independently
- Analytical thinking and strong reasoning skills
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
This is a remote internship, so you can work from home. You’ll connect virtually with the team in Ghana, through regular meetings and check ins. This internship will likely become available in the field at some point.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
Placement fee USD 475 (2022) / USD 525 (2023)
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
Personal Development Sessions
|Forestry, Agriculture, Research|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|USD 475 (2022) / USD 525 (2023)|
- Enjoy the opportunity to contribute to an ambitious project through your research
- Get practical work experience with an African-based environmental program
- Gain insights into sustainable land management in an African context
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Gain international work experience while working from home
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!