Gain field experience educating young women and girls on Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights!
One of the best sexual health internships to springboard you into a social work or psychology career! During this internship, you’ll help run educational courses in schools in Cape Town teaching young men and women about sexual health and rights. You’ll be the right hand of the organization’s program manager, assisting with outreach, curriculum writing, researching programs, evaluating their success, developing them, and much more.
What’s more you’ll be gaining hands-on in-field experience, working directly with the children and other community members your efforts will help. You’ll see all it takes to run educational programs within an NGO, and witness first-hand the impact that work makes.
This Program Management Internship is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in a diverse spread of fields. You’ll gain practical experience facilitating lesson plans, developing curriculums, insight into the difficulties faced by education sectors in developing countries, and, most of all, mentorship and experience in the management of social impact programs within an NGO.
You’ll work with New Heritage Foundation, an all-women-led nonprofit organization dedicated to making long-lasting change for women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights. Their mission is to promote gender equality and end period poverty through sexual health and rights education for girls and boys, and supplying disadvantaged communities with affordable, sustainable sanitary products.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
This internship combines Program Management and Sexual health education, so there’s great scope for a variety of work. As well as this, you’ll receive training and development on how to run programs for NGOs, you’ll be working on the ground improving sexual and reproductive health and rights for young girls and women in South Africa.
What you’ll do during your internship
Your daily tasks may vary project-by-project or in accordance with your own strengths and interests. Your main responsibilities will include:
- Assist the program manager when working with schools and local teachers overseeing, facilitating, and conducting lesson plans
- Assist running workshops on skill development, sexual health, and rights
- Curriculum writing, evaluation, and development
- Monitoring the programs’ success by conducting impact reports
- Assisting program manager with the logistics and strategy of each project
- Supporting young girls and boys as they grapple with sensitive issues
- Enjoyment working with children
- Some experience in education or group-leading
- Excellent for those with a background in or passion for Psychology,
- Gender Studies, Social Work, Public Health and female empowerment
- Good written and verbal communication skills
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at the Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, the Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take four to eight people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 2,055
3 months USD 2,742
4 months USD 3,430
5 months USD 4,117
6 months USD 4,805
What you are paying for:
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Accommodation based on a shared room (2 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- Transport to the project for field work (approx. 1-2 times a week)
- Free WiFi
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Meals during the weekend
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Health Education NGO|
|Program Management, Health Education, Monitoring|
|Min. 2 months|
|From USD 2,055|
- A combination of program management and Sexual Health Internships providing the best of both worlds
- Practical experience in education and curriculum development
- Gain field experience in the nonprofit sector
- Gain insight into the daily operations of NGO management and running educational programs
- Support sexual and reproductive health and rights’ education in South Africa
- Live and work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Cape Town
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!