Help assess an strengthen the impact of a fast-growing South African nonprofit
Bring your analytical skills to this online monitoring and evaluation internship with a South African charity. You’ll be part of Sunshine Cinema, a nonprofit organisation focused on raising awareness on important issues throughout underprivileged communities in Southern Africa.
They do the through a variety of media, including a solar-powered mobile cinema. As an intern, you’ll assist with collecting and analysing relevant data of Sunshine Cinema’s projects, so that impact can be assessed and improved. It’s an exciting opportunity to be part of this movement, and contributing to its long-term sustainability. You’ll gain practical work experience in the nonprofit sector, and you’ll see tangible results of your work.
To apply for this monitoring and evaluation internship, you’ll need to have strong organisational skills, a knack for research and data collection, and a go-getter attitude. This is an online internship, so you’ll be able to do it remotely from your own home.
|Nonprofit Media distribution platform|
|Evaluation and recording impact data|
|Min. 6 weeks|
Founded in 2013, Sunshine Cinema is a South African solar powered cinema network that converts solar power to social impact. They train youth in South Africa, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe to be impact producers hosting solar powered screenings with a mobile cinema unit (the Sunbox). They use documentary and feature films that address social and environmental challenges and practical ways to overcome them. And also use these screenings to spark dialogue and inspire social change in their communities.
They work in four countries with 17 Sunbox Ambassadors, who have screened to over 20,000 audience members during more than 200 screenings. They also developed a free podcast series, The SunCloud, to amplify their reach outside public gatherings. In addition, relevant topics and record interviews with community leaders, civil society groups, journalists, and filmmakers are shared on community Whatsapp groups, and social media platforms and through Webinars with low data usage. This work feeds into their existing community engagement strategies as it connects their Ambassadors to stakeholders, and further builds their audience network.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
- Capture data from screening reports for filmmaker and funder reports
- Collect information for weekly reports
- Analyse social media performance (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) and track any changes of impact
- File and tally key highlights after each podcast or screening
- Track podcast and screening calendars
- An interest, and ideally some experience in M&E
- Strong research and analytical skills
- A background or interest in social sciences
- Good organisational and administrative skills
- Experience with data analysis would be ideal
- Need to be available at least half days, 5 days a week
- Need to have reliable internet
- Knowledge of Southern African languages would be beneficial
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
As this is a remote internship, you’ll have the flexibility to work from your own home! Should you want to spend part of your internship in Cape Town, this is an option too; the set up is flexible and up to you.
DATES & RATES
The start dates for this internship are flexible; we will discuss the options with you during the application process.
What you will pay (2022 rates)
Placement fee USD 475
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Nonprofit media distribution platform|
|Evaluation and recording impact data|
|Min. 6 weeks|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”My 3 month remote internship has been nothing short of amazing. All the organization's members were patient, passionate and hardworking individuals, from whom I learnt a lot from. I was lucky enough to work and interact closely with one of the founders, who gave me the chance to really expand my boundaries in terms of how I interpreted people's ideas, beliefs and behaviors into tangible sources of change and impact.Phoebe, South SudanRemote Monitoring & Evaluation Internship
I also took on tasks from the Operations Director and Program Assistant, who were encouraging and patient with me, allowing me to have a growth in confidence in my work. Overall, the experience has been enriching in allowing me to not only apply my academic knowledge but in realizing the value of passion while undertaking humanitarian work, and the fulfillment it gives. And that was entirely because of Roots' support and guidance!
- Gain practical experience in data collection, reporting, and social media performance
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Contribute to a charity raising awareness of important issues in African communities
- Live and work from the comfort of your home
How to apply?
If you’d like to apply for this remote internship, follow these steps:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the placement fee, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your internship.
- Only once we receive payment of the placement fee, your internship will be confirmed.