Share your talent and love for music with youth in a developing country
This music teaching internship in Uganda is perfect for those who are passionate about music and have the ability to play an instrument (or multiple!).
The Living Music Foundation is a Uganda-based NGO with a goal to spread the joy of music in their area. In the small communities near their home base of Mbarara, the people don’t have access to musical equipment or lessons that are so easily available to those in other places. However, they are hoping to change that, as they’ve noticed the positive impact that music can make on the communities.
They need the help of talented people who are willing to share their musical abilities. This internship will combine your love for music and your passion for inspiring others to create a position where you can have a direct impact in the lives of underprivileged children and adults.
|Music, education, youth programs|
|Min. 8 weeks|
|From USD 1,494|
The Living Music Foundation, founded in 2017, is an NGO based in Mbarara, Uganda. Their passion is music, and having seen the transformative impact that the performing arts can have on children in developing countries (and around the world), they have devoted their work to sharing this gift. The founders of the Living Music Foundation believe that exposure to music can provide children with many positive life skills, including commitment and discipline. It also builds character and helps develop self-esteem.
Their main goal is to provide music lessons for children who are economically or socially challenged. By offering music lessons free of charge, they provide an outlet for kids who are lacking family or community support. The lessons take place either in their Mbarara centre as well as in the home communities of the children. Music is meant to be shared, and once the children develop their skills, they are able to share their talent with their communities, creating a happy and uplifting atmosphere for everyone. They also offer their music lessons to youth and adults from more advantaged background; which is how they can support their projects.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
Your tasks in this music teaching internship will include:
- Providing one-on-one music lessons to both youth and adults
- Leading music lessons in communities, churches and schools
- Daily lesson planning
- Sharing the joy of music!
During your internship you will also have the opportunity to visit other youth projects in the area.
- Ability to play a musical instrument
- Teaching capabilities
- English speaking
- Culturally adaptable and flexible
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your music teaching internship you will be provided with the opportunity to stay with a local family! This home stay arrangement is the best way to get to know the community you will be living in for 2-4 months. Plus, you won’t have to miss that family feeling while you are away from home. A home stay allows you to be immersed in the local culture and have guidance and support during your stay.
If requested, we can also provide alternative accommodation options at a hostel or apartment, fees will vary.
Your host family will provide you with access to safe drinking water and a private bedroom. You will join the family for breakfast and dinner (lunch will be had with the LMF staff). Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary requests or restrictions.
Host families will treat you like family, inviting you on family outings and getting to know you.
During your time in Mbarara, you will have the chance to visit other nearby communities, cultural sites and museums, and game parks to spot wild animals! There will be plenty of opportunities to hike, play sports, go swimming, and do many more fun activities! They also like to offer local language lessons for those who are interested.
Note: Hand washing clothing at the home stays can be arranged for you to do it yourself. Washing facilities are available in town at a fee.
DATES & RATES
This organization has internship opportunities throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
2 months USD 1,494
3 months USD 1,664
4 months USD 1,834
Upgrade to guesthouse accommodation: USD 480 per month extra
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, organize accommodation for you in Uganda, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
- Accommodation based on a homestay option – other accommodation options are available and fees will vary
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airport pick up and drop off from Kampala Airport
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Kampala
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Music, Education, Youth programs|
|Min. 8 weeks|
|From USD 1,494|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”I surely enjoyed the landscapes of Uganda, the wonderful nature and wildlife. I loved the company of the children, that make you smile no matter what, and of the local people, who were interested in my country as much as I was keen to learn more about Uganda.I loved discovering the traditions and history of this beautiful country, and I think that the most precious lesson I learnt during my in Africa was that every culture has a lot to teach.Simona, ItalySustainable Development Internship, Uganda
- Use your musical talents to give music lessons to children
- Contribute to an organization on a mission to sustainably spread music to children in challenging circumstances
- Gain insight into the daily operations of a nonprofit organization
- Live with a local family and dive into the Ugandan culture
- Explore the area by going for hikes, visiting game reserves, or one of the many cultural sites
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!