Help devise educational programs to lift children and their families out of poverty
Travel to Cambodia and take part in a holistic approach to community uplift. You’ll get to see what it’s like to develop educational programs in a nonprofit context, whilst helping children and their families to break the cycle of poverty.
This internship places you with a social impact nonprofit that works to break the cycle of poverty and reduce the socio-economic gap in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Operating from their own educational center, this organization runs a range of 11 different programs equipping children and their families with the life-skills they need to have a prosperous future. Working on a small-scale, they take an all-rounded approach to their work, enrolling not just children, but their whole families. Once enrolled, children and their families receive holistic support ensuring both their long-term and day-to-day needs are met.
Your role will be to assist their local team to help maintain and develop their educational programs. Whilst this is an education internship, you’ll spend less time in the classroom and more time working behind the scenes. You’ll work on curriculum development, producing training materials, and finding other NGOs to partner with. It’ll give you a comprehensive overview of the unique challenges of running nonprofit educational programs and insight into what it takes to create long-lasting social change.
This organization is a social impact nonprofit focussed on breaking the cycle of poverty and reducing the socio-economic gap in Siem Reap, Cambodia through education. REACH provides English classes alongside a range of 11 integrated programs.
They take a more holistic approach to most education initiatives and when enrolling children into their school they provide their families with all-rounded support. Their aim is to provide children with both quality education and a safe environment to grow so that one day they can find fair employment and break free from poverty.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Your daily tasks during this internship will revolve around devising and trialing different lesson plans and activities to make sure classes are engaging and effective. This will involve researching and developing projects, creating lesson plans, producing informational resources, and measuring impact. You’ll also get involved in finding and securing other NGO partnerships to enrich educational development further and other managerial tasks.
What you’ll do
- Assisting with teaching elective classes
- Conducting research into educational methods and techniques
- Assist the Curriculum Developers
- Developing educational programs and devising lesson plans
- Organizing activities for children
- Creating educational materials
- Developing support programs and systems for children and their families
- Assist with day-to-day managerial and admin tasks
- Academic background or experience in education, social work, or related field is preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to connect and work with children
- Strong independent worker and team player
- Culturally aware and open-minded
- Fluent English language skills
- Computer literate
- Able to provide references, working with children permit or valid police check
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be based in Siem Reap, Cambodia’s second-largest city and the capital of Siem Reap Province. The city boasts a blend of French colonial and Chinese architectural influences and offers an array of attractions including museums, traditional Apsara dance performances, a Cambodian cultural village, and a diverse cuisine and nightlife. Most notably, Siem Reap is home to the renowned Angkor Wat temples pictured on Cambodia’s flag.
Accommodation is organized on a case-by-case basis from a selection of guesthouses and hotels. Each location is well-equipped with comfortable rooms, laundry, a kitchen, and Wifi. Interns will also have the option to take their meals at the organization’s center.
DATES & RATES
Internship dates are flexible. The exact start and end dates will be discussed with you during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
The rate depends on the type of accommodation you choose, but they start at:
12 weeks USD 1,526
16 weeks USD 1,797
20 weeks USD 2,069
26 weeks USD 2,477
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An academic internship eligible for university credit. Check with your university to confirm if this internship qualifies for credit or alternatively we can assist you with purchasing transfer credits.
- Accommodation in a single room, please contact us for availability and prices.
- Airport transfers upon arrival and departure
- Prepare your own meals at the accommodation or you can join for two meals (9.30AM/3:30PM at the organization’s center
- Wifi access
- Assistance with your visa arrangement and other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with your supervisor
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flights to Siem Reap
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Transport to the office
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Siem Reap, Cambodia|
|Social Impact / Education NGO|
|Curriculum and Program Development, Education Methodology|
|Min. 3 months|
|From USD 1,526|
- Gain international experience in a nonprofit context
- Build skills in teaching, social work, and curriculum development
- Make a tangible long-lasting impact in children’s lives
- Build deep connection with beneficiaries and local communities
- Live and work in Cambodia
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Curriculum Development Internship
- Min. 6 months
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Strategy, Education, Wellbeing, Program Development, Reporting
Work with an assisted living community for adults with mental disabilities in Cambodia.
- Min 8 weeks
- Cusco, Peru
- Teaching, Gender Equality, Education
Gain practical teaching experience working with young girls from disadvantaged families in Cusco
- 3-6 Months
- Puerto Inca, Peru
- Curriculum development, Workshops, Education
Teach children the skills they need to become the next generation of conservation leaders