Fundraising Internship At Environmental NGO, Cape Town
Manage donor relations and find funding opportunities for this non-profit
Are you a strong writer looking to help raising funds for a young, but fast growing ngo? We have an exciting opportunity for you with Greenpop. This dynamic environmental organisation in Cape Town runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups people to get involved in their green mission and to (re)connect them with our planet. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels and they can always do with extra help. This fundraising internship offers you a variety of tasks and valuable organizational insights. You prepare reports, analyse data, prepare and submit grants, awards and proposals and do market research. In addition you communicate with donors in different ways and assist with digital fundraising platforms. As part of a high-energy team you help developing and maintaining long lasting donor relationships that ensure Greenpop’s programmes and projects.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Research, Communications, (online) Fundraising, Reporting
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,390 for 8 weeks
A Little Bit About Greenpop
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
During a fundraising internship at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at our nursery and eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
What You’ll Be Doing
Greenpop is a self-funded organization. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels; corporate sponsorship, individual tree sponsorship, participants at their reforestation festivals, the facilitation of plant days as team building exercises, fundraising events, online fundraising campaigns, and grants. During this Fundraising Internship you will assist Greenpop’s Fundraising Manager in developing and maintaining long lasting donor relationships that ensure an exciting journey for the donors supporting Greenpop Foundation’s programmes and projects.
Within this Fundraising Internship there are two different roles: one with a focus on Storytelling or and the other one with a focus on Problem Solving. You will fulfill one of these roles with each one having its own responsibilities.
FUNdraising Storytelling profile
- Donor Retention: master direct mailing system to prepare monthly donor newsletter, call-to-action alerts and event feedback reports. Work on continuously improving and evolving the donor journey
- Funding Development: prepare and submit grants, awards and proposals
- Support and administration: update information on digital fundraising platforms, manage merchandise stock levels and orders
FUNdraising Problem Solver profile
- Assess current data extracts to improve processes and grow donor base
- Extract and compile data for Quarterly Donor reports
- Prepare and send monitoring and evaluation reports
- Update database with donation details
- Compile ad hoc reports for proposals and presentations
Secondary tasks (things that all Greenpop interns occasionally get involved in):
- Providing office support, such as running errands, answering the phone, opening the door and preparing for events
- Assisting on tree planting projects at beneficiary locations (mainly schools in underprivileged areas of Cape Town)
- Assisting at our nursery; a space in Cape Town where we grow trees, showcase urban greening, and occasionally host eco-education workshops
Where You’ll Stay
We’re excited to be able to offer you a shared apartment.
- This chic, new shared apartment has a majestic view of Table Mountain and is perfectly positioned in a bustling area during the day but quiet at night so you can sleep easy! The Cape Town Company Gardens, busy Long Street and Kloof Street with world class restaurants are an easy 10 min walk from the Loft
- Cape Town Loft has 1 private room and 2 shared dorm rooms and guests have access to 2 bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a comfortable lounge, balcony and free WiFi.
- You will share a dorm room with 3-5 other people. Bed linen is provided, towels are NOT included.
- It’s a self catering accommodation with a fully equipped kitchen. Meals are NOT included.
If you are interested in a single room or other kind of accommodation, please let us know as we have several other options available as well.
For this FUNdraising Internship, Greenpop is looking for people with he following skills and experience:
- Good communication skills (all levels)
- Problem solver
- Goal and target orientated
- Strong presentation and networking skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- A creative mind and flexible attitude
- Some knowledge of the social enterprise space
- Strong interest in trees, reforestation, and sustainability
- Proficient in English
- Specifically for FUNdraising Storytelling profile
- Well-developed writing (particularly proposal writing)
- Specifically for FUNdraising Problem Solver Profile
- Strong systems knowledge
- Strong analytics and database management knowledge
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your FUNdraising Internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots we do everything we can to make your work placement experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great match makers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. These fees are based on a shared dorm room in a beautiful central Cape Town apartment. If you are interested in another kind of accommodation or a single room, please let us know. You can come for any length of time (min 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
8 weeks – USD 1,390 (2017) / USD 1,446 (2018)
12 weeks – USD 1,810 (2017) / USD 1,894 (2018)
16 weeks – USD 2,230 (2017) / USD 2,342 (2018)
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees based on a shared dorm room.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day.
- Placement fee (USD 550) for finding you the right internship, assistance with your visa, organizing accommodation and transport, preparations and support to you and host organisation before, during and after your placement. *Each year several internship spaces are reserved for South African citizens where placement fee will be waived.
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities