help develop and maintain lasting donor relationships to ensure continuation of the programs and projects
Are you interested in strategic development and keen for an internship abroad? We have an exciting Business Development and Fundraising Internship for you with Greenpop.
This dynamic environmental organisation in Cape Town runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups people to get involved in their green mission and to (re)connect them with our planet. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels and they can always do with extra help. This fundraising and Business Development internship offers you a variety of tasks and valuable organizational insights. You do market research, assist with fundraising proposals, and get involved with the overall strategy of the organisation. As part of a high-energy team, you’ll help developing and maintaining long lasting donor relationships that ensure Greenpop’s programs and projects.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Business development, fundraising, strategy, non-profit management|
|From USD 1,536|
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that plants trees through urban greening and reforestation, spreads environmental awareness and activate people through green festivals and workshops across Southern Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 100,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
As an intern at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at their eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Greenpop is a self-funded organization. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels; corporate sponsorship, individual tree sponsorship, participants at their reforestation festivals, the facilitation of plant days as team building exercises, fundraising events, online fundraising campaigns, and grants. During this Fundraising and Business Development Internship, you will assist Greenpop’s Fundraising Manager and/or Managing Director and CEO. Depending on your interests and skills and the needs of the organization at the time of your internship, you will be involved in a variety of tasks.
What you’ll do
- Market research: research for new fundraising opportunities/partnerships/corporate social responsibility, assist with the preparation and submission of grants, awards, and proposals
- Assist MD and CEO with management tasks
- Direct marketing and outreach
- Creation of brochures and proposals
- Managing marketing databases
- Digital fundraising: assist with development and running of online fundraising campaigns, update information on digital fundraising platforms
- Donor communications: f.e. donor newsletter, call-to-action alerts, and event feedback reports.
- All interns also provide office support, assist with tree planting projects and at the Eco Education Hub.
- Strong written and spoken English
- Skilled in Excel, data management, and research.
- Some experience in fundraising, business development or marketing would be nice to have.
- An interest in trees, reforestation, and sustainability
- Bring your own laptop
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
8 weeks USD 1,536
12 weeks USD 2,028
16 weeks USD 2,521
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Business development, fundraising, strategy, nonprofit management|
|From USD 1,536|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”I raised money for Greenpop which they can use to finance their amazing projects. It makes me proud to see that people donated money because of my campaign. Secondly, I could really see and feel my impact during the Festival of Action. It is one thing if you approach people to donate for tree planting projects but it is another thing to plant a tree yourself! This was a powerful experience which made me realize my impact on the earth in that specific moment.Harold, FranceBusiness Development and Fundraising Internship, Cape Town
- Gain practical experience in fundraising, grant applications, communication, and reporting
- Contribute to a charity on a mission to plant trees, green communities and empower environmental stewards across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Help develop and maintain long lasting donor relationships that ensure this organization’s programs and projects
- Live and work in Cape Town, arguably one of the most stunning cities in the world.
Enjoy exploring South Africa’s many highlights during your time off
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!
t this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!