Fundraising and CSR Internship At Environmental NGO, Cape Town
Manage donor relations and find funding opportunities for this non-profit
Are you a strong writer looking to help raising funds for a young, but fast growing ngo? We have an exciting opportunity for you with Greenpop. This dynamic environmental organisation in Cape Town runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups people to get involved in their green mission and to (re)connect them with our planet. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels and they can always do with extra help. This fundraising internship offers you a variety of tasks and valuable organizational insights. You prepare reports, analyse data, prepare and submit grants, awards and proposals and do market research. In addition you communicate with donors in different ways and assist with digital fundraising platforms. As part of a high-energy team you help developing and maintaining long lasting donor relationships that ensure Greenpop’s programmes and projects.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Marketing, Communications, (online) Fundraising
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,491 for 8 weeks
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that plants trees through urban greening and reforestation, spreads environmental awareness and activate people through green festivals and workshops across Southern Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 100,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
As an intern at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at their eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
What You’ll Be Doing
Greenpop is a self-funded organization. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels; corporate sponsorship, individual tree sponsorship, participants at their reforestation festivals, the facilitation of plant days as team building exercises, fundraising events, online fundraising campaigns, and grants. During this Fundraising Internship, you will assist Greenpop’s Fundraising Manager in developing and maintaining long-lasting donor relationships that ensure an exciting journey for the donors supporting Greenpop Foundation’s programmes and projects.
Depending on your interests and skills and the needs of the organization at the time of your internship, you will be involved in a variety of task like:
- Donor Retention: master direct mailing system to prepare monthly donor newsletter, call-to-action alerts, and event feedback reports. Work on continuously improving and evolving the donor journey
- Support and administration: update information on digital fundraising platforms, manage merchandise stock levels and orders
- Data analysis and reporting: assist with the donor, monitoring, and evaluation reports but also compile reports for proposals and presentations
- Market(ing) research for new fundraising opportunities/partnerships/corporate social responsibility, assist with the preparation and submission of grants, awards, and proposals
- Assist with development and running of online fundraising campaigns and marketing activations.
- All interns also provide office support, assist with tree planting projects and at the Eco Education Hub.
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
For this Funddraising Internship, Greenpop is looking for people with he following skills and experience:
- Good communication skills (all levels)
- Interest in Marketing and/or Fundraising
- Problem solver
- Goal and target orientated
- Strong presentation and networking skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- A creative mind and flexible attitude
- Some knowledge of the social enterprise space
- Strong interest in trees, reforestation, and sustainability
- Proficient in English
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your Fundraising Internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,491
12 weeks – USD 1,961
16 weeks – USD 2,432
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.