Urban Greening Internship At Environmental NGO, Cape Town
Contribute to environmental management and eco education in Cape Town
Are you interested in environmental management or urban greening and looking for some valuable work experience? We have an exciting urban greening internship with Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town. A young but fast-growing social enterprise, Greenpop runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa, and activates large groups people to get involved in their green mission. Greenpop is looking for interns to join their team to assist with the urban greening program, where we plant trees in the under greened areas of Cape Town. You’ll be involved in research, education, communication, data capture, monitoring and you’ll be part of a high-energy group of people achieving great things.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Urban Greening
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,390 for 8 weeks
A Little Bit About Greenpop
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
As an intern at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at our nursery and eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
What You’ll Be Doing
At Greenpop they are constantly engaging with communities and their sites for planting in their Urban Greening Program (UGP). The UGP consists of relationship management, educational content development and urban greening project management within and outside of the office. And it also requires a refined and concise monitoring system that allows for deeply engaging and activating students, staff and groundsman for environmental stewardship. The Planting & Sustainability Department is therefore always supported by several nursery & office interns who perform focused tasks that integrate into the success of their Urban Greening Programme.
Within the Urban Greening Internship there are two different roles; one with a focus on Urban Greening Coordination and the other with a focus on Monitoring & Site Coordination. During your Urban Greening Internship you will fulfill one of these roles with each one having its own responsibilities.
Urban Greening Coordinator Role
- Assist UGP Manager with day to day activities: responding to & directing beneficiaries + sponsors, assisting with preparing sponsor reports & visual links,reporting on workshops & educational activities and general data input into excel spreadsheets.
- Work together with UGP Manager to develop and coordinate educational content for beneficiary workshops & pop up workshops at the nursery and respective sites.
- Work together with UGP Manager & Nursery interns to offer research-support for tangible output by Nursery team.
- Skills and abilities you will learn during your internship with Greenpop
- Lesson Planning & Workshop Development
- Reporting & Facilitation
- Program Coordination
- Managing an NGO database
- Indigenous plant knowledge
- Urban Greening Landscape of South Africa
Monitoring & Site Coordinator role
- Assist the Monitoring & Site Coordinator with day to day activities which include: data input, reporting & data analysis of excel spreadsheets.
- Work together with Monitoring & Site coordinator to carry out site visits and return to office for data input.
- Work together with Planting team to prepare for & run planting days at sites around Cape Town.
- Work together with Monitoring & Site coordinator and Communications Interns to efficiently run Planting Communications (e.g. newsletter, Facebook group and weekly SMS communication for beneficiaries)
- Skills and abilities you will learn during your internship with Greenpop:
- Indigenous plant knowledge
- Urban Greening Landscape of South Africa
Secondary tasks (this applies to both roles)
- In charge of the office plants and seedlings (alternating with other planting department interns).
- Compile internal eco-topic information weekly for staff development.
- Work independently curate & inspire internal team with environmental education content.
- Providing office support, such as running errands, answering the phone, opening the door and preparing for events.
- Assisting on tree planting projects in the under-greened areas of Cape Town.
- Assisting at our nursery; a space in Cape Town where we grow trees, showcase urban greening, and occasionally host eco-education workshops.
Where You’ll Stay
We’re excited to be able to offer you a shared apartment.
- This chic, new shared apartment has a majestic view of Table Mountain and is perfectly positioned in a bustling area during the day but quiet at night so you can sleep easy! The Cape Town Company Gardens, busy Long Street and Kloof Street with world class restaurants are an easy 10 min walk from the Loft
- Cape Town Loft has 1 private room and 2 shared dorm rooms and guests have access to 2 bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a comfortable lounge, balcony and free WiFi.
- You will share a dorm room with 3-5 other people. Bed linen is provided, towels are NOT included.
- It’s a self catering accommodation with a fully equipped kitchen. Meals are NOT included.
If you are interested in a single room or other kind of accommodation, please let us know as we have several other options available as well.
For this work placement, Greenpop is looking for people with the following skills and qualifications.
- Interest in Urban Greening
- Proficiency / interest in Environmental Management
- Proficiency / interest in data analysis & reporting
- Ideally you’ll bring your own laptop
- Specifically for Urban Greening Coordinator Role
- Interested in Environmental Education
- Proficiency or interest in facilitation
- Administratively capable
- Ability to work independently & innovate
- Specifically for Monitoring & Site Coordinator role
- Work well in a team
- Interested in Community Development & Social Justice
- Proficiency / interest in communication
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
Fees for 2017
At Roots we do everything we can to make your work placement experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great match makers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. These fees are based on a shared dorm room in a beautiful central Cape Town apartment. If you are interested in another kind of accommodation or a single room, please let us know. You can come for any length of time (min 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
8 weeks – USD 1,390
12 weeks – USD 1,810
16 weeks – USD 2,230
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees based on a shared dorm room.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day.
- Placement fee (USD 550) for finding you the right internship, assistance with your visa, organizing accommodation and transport, preparations and support to you and host organisation before, during and after your placement. *Each year several internship spaces are reserved for South African citizens where placement fee will be waived.
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities