Permaculture Internship in Malawi
Provide permaculture Training to Teachers who run after-school Permaculture Programs
This Permaculture internship in Malawi offers the opportunity to gain practical experience in the application of permaculture in a development context. As an intern, you’ll be part of a small team providing permaculture training to teachers in a rural setting, and you’ll have a hand in the further development of the program. It’s a great opportunity to put theoretical knowledge into practice, to gain a thorough understanding of the grassroots permaculture projects, and to contribute to a worthwhile cause. Your role will the tailored to your skills and knowledge, so that you can have an optimum learning experience, and you’ll be guided by a team at all times.
- Destination Nkhata Bay, Malawi
- Type or Organization Environmental nonprofit
- Work focus Permaculture, organic farming
- Length of Internship 2-4 months
- Accommodation dorm room
- Fee as from USD 1,258
About the Organization
Malawi Schools Permaculture Clubs (MSPC) is a nonprofit that promotes permaculture principles to children in Malawi. Based in Nkhata Bay, in the north of the country, the organisation supports primary school teachers in the area who want to run after-school permaculture clubs. MSPC provides all the relevant training for the teachers, as well as a structured club programme for them to follow. This includes a resource pack of weekly lessons and activities, basic equipment needed to run clubs, and infrastructure to support and motivate teachers throughout the year.
The aim of the program is to teach children how to care for and regenerate their natural environment, to value their local resources, and to learn how to produce their own nutritious food. MSPC works with 600 children at 15 different school clubs, and has plans of expanding the program to other areas of Malawi.
As a permaculture intern on this program, you’ll be an essential part of a small team, and you’ll have a mix of office and field work. You’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the following;
- Further developing the permaculture training provided to teachers
- Assisting with the training courses on the ground
- Assisting with developing the weekly permaculture program for children
- Helping with specific projects happening at schools, such as small permaculture gardens
Your tasks will be customized to your specific skills and knowledge.
Where you’ll stay
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at the lovely Butterfly Space, a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you are like to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
- At least a basic knowledge of permaculture principles
- Experience with developing or managing permaculture culture would be ideal
- A passion for spreading permaculture principles
- A flexible attitude and ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work quite independently
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
Dates and Fees
2 months – USD 1,258
3 months – USD 1,687
4 months – USD 2,116
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation (shared)
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals: you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for USD 270 per month.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)