Gain practical (and inspiring!) work experience in the nonprofit sector
Join an innovative program that works to improve the lives of both youth and dogs in South Africa
As an intern, you’ll be part of The Underdog Project. Based in Cape Town, this is a nonprofit organization that teaches at-risk kids to train street dogs; an initiative that encourages empathy and joy in the kids, and helps the dogs become adoptable.
During your internship, you’ll assist with the organization’s fundraising efforts. This can include research, active online fundraising campaigns, proposal writing, and impact monitoring. Your exact tasks will be tailored to your interests and skills, but you can expect a greatly diverse work experience.
You can do this organizational development internship on the ground, in Cape Town, or remotely, if that suits you better. To apply, you’ll need to be a strong and versatile writer, an independent worker, and someone who shares the passion for this cause.
- Practical work experience in various elements of fundraising
- A thorough understanding of the fundraising landscape
- A strong grasp of the nonprofit sector in South Africa
- International work experience – even if you’re working remotely
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
You’ll be part The Underdog Project, a South African nonprofit that teaches youth from underprivileged backgrounds to train rescue dogs. It’s an inspiring workshop program that offers a wide range of benefits to both the kids and the dogs.
Based in Cape Town, the organization works with kids from communities where abuse and violence are widespread, and opportunities are limited. It’s also an area with a large street dog population. By pairing at-risk kids with rescued dogs, and teaching the youngsters how to train their dogs, The Underdog Project aims to inspire the kids and encourage them to develop empathy. It also fights a culture of animal cruelty, and it increases the chances of the dogs to get adopted and find loving homes.
Through their innovative program, The Underdog Project ultimately aims to uplift the lives of both underprivileged youth and dogs.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a organizational development intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks. Depending on your skills and experience, they can include;
- Doing fundraising research
- Writing funding proposals and applications
- Helping run individual giving campaigns
- Assisting with further development of communication strategies
- Assisting with monitoring & evaluating
- Writing reports and assisting with donor management
- Strong research skills
- Good communication and writing skills
- Ideally some fundraising experience
- A willingness to working in a culturally different environment
- A proactive approach
- A passion for the work The Underdog Project does
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
This is a remote internship, so you can work from the comfort of your home. There are opportunities to work on the ground, if you’re interested. In that case, you will stay at a backpackers in Houtbay, a comfortable lodge in a suburb of Cape Town. It’s an ideal location; you’ll be close to the beach and local shops, and only a 20-minute drive from the Cape Town city center. There’s plenty to do during time off, like visiting local markets, going on hikes or walks on the beach, and venturing onto Table Mountain. You’ll also be close to the office; The Underdog Project is a 5-10 minutes drive away. The lodge has wifi, a shared lounge, and both private and shared rooms.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2021 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,557
12 weeks USD 2,023
16 weeks USD 2,488
Remote internship: fixed fee USD 475
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- For in-person internship the fee includes airport transfers and accommodation based on a dorm room. Single rooms available at an additional fee pending availability
- Flight to Ghana
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Animal & Youth NGO|
|Fundraising, Monitoring, Reporting, Research|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 475|
- Gain a wealth of practical fundraising experience
- Get a good understanding of the nonprofit sector in a South African context
- Enjoy a great variety in your daily tasks
- See real results of your efforts, and support a great cause
- Live and work in Cape Town, arguably one of the greatest cities in the world
- Have the flexibility of working remotely, if you prefer
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!