Creative Writing Internship at environmental NGO in Cape Town
Gain experience in content writing, creative writing, SEO, and blog management at an environmental non-profit.
Are you a strong writer with a passion for the environment? We have an exciting opportunity for you to be part of Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town. This young but fast-growing NGO, runs environmental projects in Southern Africa and encourages people to get active, not anxious, about sustainability. With its strong focus on creating useful and positive green content, Greenpop has a dedicated communications team that can always do with extra input. During the Content Writing internship, you’ll get the opportunity to be part of an energetic team, get valuable experience in content writing, creative writing, SEO and blog management and contribute to a worthwhile cause.
“Somehow the world got bigger and smaller at the same time over the last six months. Things seem more complex, but the ability to have an impact now truly feels within my reach.”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Digital marketing, Creative writing, Social Media
- Length of Internship Minimum of 2 months
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,491 for 8 weeks
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that plants trees through urban greening and reforestation, spreads environmental awareness and activate people through green festivals and workshops across Southern Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 100,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
As an intern at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at their eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
What You’ll Be Doing
Greenpop is an active organization that puts a large emphasis on reaching large audiences with its message. This involves strong communication efforts with different groups of people; project beneficiaries, (potential) funders, volunteers, interns, partners, stakeholders and anyone interested in sustainability and greening. As a Creative Writing intern in Greenpop’s Communications Department, you can be part of these efforts.
- Assist in defining a creative content strategy.
- Producing copy and creative content (simple graphics) to promote Greenpop’s events and fundraisers, share our story and encourage greener lifestyles.
- Writing copy and content for our website, blog, social media, brochures, direct mail campaigns, ads, and newsletters.
- Research current best use practices for social media content creation.
- All interns with Greenpop assist with office support, workshops, plant days, eco-hub open days.
Skills or abilities you will learn while working with Greenpop
You will gain experience in the following main areas
– Digital marketing
– Social media marketing
Main skills that can be developed
– Writing skills
– Strategic communication skills
– Research skills
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
For this Creative Writing Internship, Greenpop is looking for people with he following skills and experience:
- Work well in a team
- Have very strong writing skills
- Excellent understanding (both written and spoken) of the English language
- Like the idea of contributing to a social enterprise
- Understand what makes a good photo
- Preferably experience with social media and blogs
- Nice to have: experience with photography and/or videography
- Bring your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your Creative Writing Internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,491
12 weeks – USD 1,961
16 weeks – USD 2,432
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.