Communications and Fundraising Internship at Film Making NGO
Be part of a solar-powered cinema project in Africa
Are you interested in an internship with impact in Africa? We’re excited to offer a work placement at Sunshine Cinema, a mobile, solar-powered cinema that screens short films, of uplifting and useful content with youth and rural communities. Join them in taking media where it matters building active engaging audiences. Their screenings focus on media content that celebrates educational and informative social stories about active citizens. They believe in harnessing the power of media to create social change – turning passive viewers into active voices! Join their head office in Cape Town, and help them organize future screenings, source content and fund raise for their roadshows. During this Communications and Fundraising internship, you’ll have a chance to gain experience in different areas, including communications (f.e. social media, newsletters), marketing, and fundraising. You’ll also be part of organizing and facilitating screenings, allowing for an interesting mix of desk and field work.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Film-Focused NGO
- Work Focus Social Media, Writing, Fundraising, Events Coordination
- Length of Internship 8-12 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,536 for 8 weeks
Sunshine Cinema is a mobile cinema that converts solar power to social impact. With a mobile cinema unit, they screen short films that address social and environmental challenges and practical ways to overcome them. Sunshine Cinema has a research team that scouts out appropriate technologies – simple engineering solutions – already in use across the continent, documents these, and edits the footage into three-minute clips with practical information and how-to instructions. These are shared with rural communities during screenings and workshops across the continent, using a mobile solar cinema. It’s an environmentally sustainable way to share important and directly usable innovations by Africans, with Africans.
As an intern, you will support Sunshine Cinema with marketing, social media, fundraising and the facilitation of the film screenings. You could be involved in the following tasks:
- Social media: posting on social media, assisting with social media strategy
- Marketing: assist in marketing strategy and running digital marketing campaigns
- Newsletter: producing content and sending the email newsletter
- Assisting with fundraising activities
- Preparing, coordinating and facilitating the movie screenings
Important to know
- Sunshine Cinema is a non-profit operating from their office in the center of Cape Town. They share their office with Makhulu, a film, photography, and media agency.
- Please bring your own laptop.
- The duration of the internship is 8-13 weeks and you won’t receive any stipend or payment for this internship.
NB. Please note this internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you won’t receive any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
- Just-do-mentality and keen to take on different kind of tasks
- Good written and spoken English skills
- Be able to work independently
- Nice to have: some project management experience;
- Nice to have: Basic knowledge of Photoshop
The Application Process
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Sunshine Cinema, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship with Sunshine Cinema every week, so your final starting date is based on what suits you and Sunshine Cinema the best.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,536
12 weeks – USD 2,028
16 weeks – USD 2,521
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.