Develop your research and data analysis skills to spread awareness on important issues in rural African communities
Here’s an exciting opportunity to join a well-established nonprofit organization as a business development intern. It’s a chance to contribute to the long term sustainability of an inspiring cause, and to build your resume with a varied and rewarding internship.
You’ll join Developing Radio Partners, an initiative that uses radio to spread awareness on important issues in rural African communities. Their overall goal is to offer practical solutions to prevalent problems in communities that are economically, and sometimes politically, fragile. They do this by forming partnerships with local broadcasters, and empowering them to reach as many people as possible with effective messages.
This internship is a wonderful opportunity to develop your research and data analysis skills, to gain work experience on a strategic level, and to gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector.
- A thorough understanding of monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in stakeholder management
- A comprehensive understanding of the nonprofit sector
- An ability to analyze data in order to measure impact
- Practical experience in report writing
Developing Radio Partners believes radio can change minds and lives. Driven by this premis, this nonprofit organisation uses the medium of radio to bring reliable and important information to rural communities in Africa. In partnership with local broadcasters in Zambia, Malawi, and Burkina Faso, Developing Radio Partners help disseminate information on issues such as environment, agriculture, health, and governance. The broadcasts offer ideas and facts that can bring easy-to-implement solutions to everyday challenges, and improve people’s lives in significant ways.
Working in a solution-focused way, the DRP team thoroughly researches the need of communities and its local radio stations, before developing skill-development programs in partnership with local journalists. Through weekly bulletins on relevant and practical topics, and by encouraging engagement through radio listening clubs, the right information reaches people who most need it.
Started in 2004 by one of the founders of National Public Radio in the United States, Developing Radio Partners is a well-established organization that has created tangible impact in many African communities
TASKS & REQUIreMENTS
Your tasks during this internship will be somewhat tailored to your skills and experience, but they are likely to include the following;
- Doing fundraising research; finding grant and corporate funding opportunities
- Updating and managing a donor database
- Helping develop and implement a clear stakeholder management plan
- Collecting and analyzing data from the field in order to measure impact
- Writing funding proposals and impact reports
- Assist with developing an overall project development strategy
- Preparing monthly analysis reports
- Assisting with organizing and attending virtual meetings and fundraising events
- Great analytical and research skills
- Strong communications skills
- An ability to meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- A passion for DRP’s mission
- A self-starter attitude
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
This is a remote internship, so you can work from the comfort of your home.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay
Placement fee USD 475 (2022) / USD 525 (2023)
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
“While my internship was virtual and therefore from home, I truly loved the organization I got to work for. Being small and close-knit, I really felt like an integral part of the team and that my contribution mattered. I got to develop skills such as data analyzing which I had never done before, and which will help me greatly in the future. If possible, I would love to intern with Roots again, hopefully this time in person.”Isabella, United States
- Gain practical work experience in research, stakeholder management, and monitoring & evaluation
- Get a thorough understanding of the fundraising landscape
- Contribute to the development of inspiring nonprofit work in developing countries
- Gain insight into the running of a nonprofit organization that works on a grassroots level
- Have the flexibility of working remotely
Social Entrepreneurship Internship
- 3-6 months
- Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote
- Marketing, Fundraising, Business Development, Research, Operations
Marketing & Development Internship
- 8-26 weeks
- Bela-Bela, South Africa OR Remote
- Fundraising, Research, Reporting, Business Development
- 2-6 months
- Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote
- Accounting, Reporting, Fundraising