NGO Management Internship in Malawi
Get involved in operating and developing a Nonprofit at a grassroots Level
Gain practical experience of international development and the day-to-day running of a nonprofit organisation during this NGO management internship in Malawi. Based in a stunning area, you’ll get a full understanding of all that’s involved in operating and developing a nonprofit at a grassroots level, and you’ll get to make a valuable contribution to its cause. You’ll have a chance to be part of the NGO’s development strategy and sustainability, and you can get practical experience in areas such as fundraising, impact measurement, and project facilitation. It’s a great opportunity for students interested in the international development space, or simply wanting to get a thorough knowledge of nonprofit management.
- Destination Nkhata Bay, Malawi
- Type or Organization Environmental nonprofit
- Work focus NGO Management, Fundraising, Marketing, Communications
- Length of Internship 2-4 months
- Accommodation dorm room
- Fee as from USD 1,258
About the Organization
Malawi Schools Permaculture Clubs (MSPC) is a nonprofit that promotes permaculture principles to children in Malawi. Based in Nkhata Bay, in the north of the country, the organisation supports primary school teachers in the area who want to run after-school permaculture clubs. MSPC provides all the relevant training for the teachers, as well as a structured club programme for them to follow. This includes a resource pack of weekly lessons and activities, basic equipment needed to run clubs, and infrastructure to support and motivate teachers throughout the year.
The aim of the program is to teach children how to care for and regenerate their natural environment, to value their local resources, and to learn how to produce their own nutritious food. MSPC works with 600 children at 15 different school clubs, and has plans of expanding the program to other areas of Malawi.
As a nonprofit management intern, there’s a diverse range of areas you can get involved in, including:
- Development of the overall course of the program / strategies
- Fundraising, which can include grant writing, online campaigns, and individual giving campaigns
- Donor management and retention
- Impact measure and reporting
- Facilitation of projects on the ground
- Development of marketing or communications strategies, and materials
Where you’ll stay
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at the lovely Butterfly Space, a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you are like to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
- A strong interest in development programs
- Versatility and willingness to take on a great variety of tasks
- Great communication skills
- A flexible attitude and ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work quite independently
- Bring your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
Dates and Fees
2 months – USD 1,258
3 months – USD 1,687
4 months – USD 2,116
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation (shared)
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals: you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for USD 270 per month.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)