A multi-faceted experience in Digital Marketing, Fundraising, Writing and Communications
Gain valuable experience in communications at a grassroots nonprofit organisation! You’ll be part of a small but fast-growing NGO that supports permaculture clubs for children in rural Malawi, and you’ll help develop and manage their communication channels.
This Media and Communications Internship in Malawi involves a wide rage of tasks, including content writing, social media, public relations, and fundraising, so you can expect a multi- faceted experience. At the same time, you’ll get to be involved in some of the projects on the ground, which will give you a good understanding of the way charitable projects run. It’s a great opportunity for students of Communication Studies, Media Studies, Journalism, Fundraising, or related fields.
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi|
|Fundraising, Marketing, social media, writing|
|From USD 1,320|
Malawi Schools Permaculture Clubs (MSPC) is a nonprofit that promotes permaculture principles to children in Malawi. Based in Nkhata Bay, in the north of the country, the organisation supports primary school teachers in the area who want to run after-school permaculture clubs. MSPC provides all the relevant training for the teachers, as well as a structured club program for them to follow. This includes a resource pack of weekly lessons and activities, basic equipment needed to run clubs, and infrastructure to support and motivate teachers throughout the year.
The aim of the program is to teach children how to care for and regenerate their natural environment, to value their local resources, and to learn how to produce their own nutritious food. MSPC works with 600 children at 15 different school clubs, and has plans of expanding the program to other areas of Malawi.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a media and communications intern, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the following areas:
- Development of communication strategies
- Social media and newsletters
- Grant writing
- Photography and videography (if you have relevant skills)
- Content and blog writing
- A strong interest in development programs
- Strong communication skills
- Great written English
- A flexible attitude and ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work quite independently
- Bring your own laptop
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at the lovely Butterfly Space, a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you are like to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 1,757
3 months USD 2,099
4 months USD 2,440
5 months USD 2,782
6 months USD 3,123
Remote internship – Placement fee USD 625
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation (shared)
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals: you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for USD 270 per month.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)
- In case of late arrival: extra night in accommodation in Lilongwe
Personal Development Sessions
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote|
|Fundraising, Marketing, social media, writing|
|From USD 1,757 (in-person) / USD 625 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”A unique experience I was lucky to have!Isabella, United StatesRemote Media & Communications Internship
I'm very glad I stumbled upon Roots Interns 6 months ago. It has truly been a unique opportunity! At first I was a little nervous as I've never done a remote internship or worked with people from so far away in Africa, but stepping out of my comfort zone was exactly what I needed. After completing my internship I feel more confident in any potential global experience that will come my way. Everyone I've worked with from Roots and MSPC has been wonderful and I'm grateful for having this eye-opening experience.
- Gain practical experience in Fundraising, Marketing, Social media, Writing
- Contribute to a nonprofit on a mission to teach children how to care for and regenerate their natural environment, to value their local resources, and to learn how to produce their own nutritious food
- Opportunity to get involved with school projects and the work in the gardens
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Live and work in Nkhata Bay on the banks of lake Malawi
- Visit to one of the many islands, markets, craft stores or enjoy the beauty of Lake Malawi
3 MONTHS USD 2,099
4 MONTHS USD 2,440
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!