Refugee Integration and Support
Migration is perceived as an opportunity by this organization. They are on a mission to alleviate poverty and promoting development in the Western Cape while fostering cultural, social and economic integration between migrants, refugees, and South Africans. Scalabrini uses a holistic approach that considers all basic needs and advocates respect for human rights while providing their assistance.
Their services are offered through six main programme areas:
- Advocacy: Protecting, promoting and advancing the rights and freedoms of migrants and refugees by providing paralegal advice and practical assistance to individuals on a walk-in basis. In addition, this team works on driving deeper systemic change in the South African society and immigration and asylum systems.
- English School: Providing a specialized English language school for refugees and migrants.
- Employment Access: Providing a gateway to employment by providing support to foreign nationals who are legally entitled to look for work in South Africa. The organization provides a combination of skills training, professional development, and resources needed for success in the job market.
- Unite: A unique extra-curricular curriculum for grade 8-11, which provokes a deep exploration of the themes of identity, integration, and diversity to promote activism and critical thought in youth living in South Africa.
- Welfare: Accessing services for migrants and refugees in need. Through a process of consultation, they assist individuals to access basic services such as medical care, schooling, shelter, South African Social Grants (SASSA grants) and assistance with advice/application for voluntary repatriation.
- Women’s Platform: A multi-national network of women that strengthens individuals to enhance economic independence and integration into the broader South African community.
Every month around 2,000 people from all over Africa visit the center.