Development internships with eco-sustainable organization
Based in Nkhata Bay, in Northern Malawi, Butterfly Space is a nonprofit eco-lodge concept developed by two friends. It is a one-of-a-kind social impact program that houses an inclusive space for on and off-site initiatives which aim for beneficial and sustainable community development.
Butterfly Space is home to a variety of social impact programs that range from youth development, information center, healthcare support, environmental education, and more. As a certified nonprofit organization, they reinvest 100% of their profit back into these programs.
More specifically, Butterfly Space focuses their efforts in these areas:
- Youth education and development: education is offered to both paying and non-paying children from surrounding communities through Stepping Stones International Primary School, several nursing school, vocational training programs, and extracurricular activities through Malawi Schools Permaculture Clubs;
- Skill development: dedicated Butterfly Information Center can be found on-site which offers access to information, computer access, IT lessons, TedTalks, educational information, courses, and videos. Furthermore, the center also offers skill development such as using computers for research purposes, CV and letter writing, Microsoft Suite, and general health/nutrition lessons;
- Media development: a fully-equipped Butterfly Media Centre is on-site to allow people from local communities to express their creativity and talents through music, radio, camera, and recordings;
- Health and HIV support: The Uje Umampha! (Be Well!) program provides essential support for those living with HIV. The program offers support groups, education, and counseling whenever possible to those in need. Butterfly Lodge also supports 2 Vocational Training & Disability Support Centers, which offers various support to people living with disabilities;
- Female empowerment: ample attention is dedicated to local women, where women’s groups are formed to support each other both through new skill development and education. These spaces also allow local women to sell hand-made products, thus supporting themselves and their families financially as well.
Butterfly Space is dedicated to making tangible positive changes to the lives of local communities with a wide range of initiatives and programs, and it offers great chances to those eager to help out in a variety of areas with their skills and experiences.