Help an inspiring social enterprise reach a wider audience
Get a wealth of practical work experience in marketing, communications, and public relations while contributing to an impactful social enterprise in Malawi!
You’ll venture to Nkhata Bay, a welcoming community on the banks of Lake Malawi, to join Supreme, a fast-growing social business that sells locally made, reusable sanitary products. Addressing both a lack of access to these products for many Malawian women, and persisting taboos around women’s menstrual cycles, Supreme’s mission is to spread education, and ensure women can have hygienic and safe periods.
As a media and marketing intern, you’ll help Supreme reach a wider audience through communications, digital marketing, and PR campaigns. You’ll write online content, design marketing campaigns, do market research, and help with impact reporting.
This internship is a wonderful opportunity to sharpen your skills and knowledge, boost your CV through practical experience, and make your mark on an inspiring and innovative initiative.
Learning outcomes of this media and marketing internship;
- Practical experience in a variety of aspects of communications, public relations, and marketing
- A thorough understanding of the day to day running of a social business in an African context
- A portfolio of online content and campaigns to add to your CV
- Field-based experience in social impact work
- International work experience
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
Based in Malawi, Supreme is a social enterprise that creates reusable sanitary pads and spreads education around menstrual hygiene in local communities. Their aim is to allow girls and women to have safe and hygienic periods, and to be able to fully participate in society throughout their menstrual cycle. Through their social business, Supreme tackles two issues; the lack of access to menstrual products for many women in Malawi, and the persisting traditional beliefs around menstrual cycles that stop girls and women from going to school or their jobs.
Supreme reinvests 100% of their profit into their business, and supports the local economy through job training and employment. In addition, the team runs a nonprofit organization through which they provide necessary educational programs throughout rural communities in northern Malawi.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a media and marketing intern, your tasks will include the following;
- Website management and development
- Designing and running digital marketing and fundraising campaigns
- Writing blog and website content
- Assisting with PR
- Assisting with overall communications and marketing strategies
- Managing and developing social media channels
- Writing funding proposals and grant applications
- Writing impact reports
- Strong writing and communications skills
- An ability to write for a numbers of different platforms
- A strong interest in communications, marketing, and PR
- Ideally some experience in social media management
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- An ability to work quite independently and take initiative
- A passion for the work Supreme is doing
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you can expect to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
You’ll be a short drive away from the Supreme office.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 1,507
3 months USD 1,799
4 months USD 2,090
5 months USD 2,382
6 months USD 2,673
Remote internship – Placement fee USD 525
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Accommodation (shared)
- Two meals a day during the first month. After the first month you can decide to book the meal package for the other months as well.
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals after the first month: you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for the following months.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)
- Daily transport to the office
- In case of late arrival: extra night in accommodation in Lilongwe
- Daily transport to the office
Personal Development Sessions
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi or Remote|
|Communications, digital marketing, PR, writing|
|Min. 2 months|
|From USD 1,507 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
- Gain a wealth of practical experience in marketing, communications, and public relations
- Be part of an inspiring social enterprise that offers valuable support to Malawian women
- Get insights into the day to day running of nonprofit community programs
- Enjoy comfortable accommodation with an idyllic location (on the banks of Lake Malawi!)
- Live and work in a welcoming Malawian community with beautiful natural surroundings
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!