Play a large part in establishing ways to raise awareness and funding for quality education in malawi
Join a nonprofit community school in Malawi, and help establish a strong online presence for them during a digital marketing internship. Based in a welcoming community on the banks of Lake Malawi, you’ll join a primary school that was founded to address the lack of quality education in the area. As the school is relatively new, and its communication and fundraising strategies are underdeveloped, you’ll play a large part in establishing ways to raise awareness for this cause.
Depending on your skills and experience, you’ll develop and manage social media channels, write online content and newsletters, establish fundraising channels, and help develop a strong donor relations system. It’s a great opportunity to develop a wide range of skills, to gain practical work experience in the nonprofit sector, and to help with the sustainability of this initiative.
- Practical work experience in communications and digital marketing
- A good understanding of the fundraising landscape and experience in developing different fundraising channels
- An understanding of the day to day running of a nonprofit institute at a grassroots level
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, reporting, and stakeholder engagement
- International work experience
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi|
|Digital Marketing, Fundraising, Social Media|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,320|
You’ll be part of a primary school that was set up to address the lack of quality education in this rural part of Malawi. The school teaches over 220 children from broad socio-economic backgrounds; for every paid space at the school, a sponsored space is offered to a child from a family that struggles financially. Classes are kept small for Malawian standards; around 30 children are in a class, as opposed to double – or even triple, which is common. Kids are also offered a free nutritious meal on a daily basis.
Through a combination of British and Malawian curricula, the school aims to produce students who are independent thinkers and fluent English speakers. This will enhance their chance of getting a good job later in life, which will hopefully help lift their families out of poverty.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
As a digital marketing intern on this program, you’ll play an essential role in raising awareness of a nonprofit institute that is in the early stages of its development. Your exact work will be tailored depending on your knowledge and experience, so that you’ll gain the type of experience that you’re looking for, and you’ll be able to use your skills effectively.
What you’ll do
Depending on your skills, your tasks will include;
- Developing a social media strategy and managing social media platforms
- Writing online content and managing a website
- Doing fundraising research
- Writing grant proposals and running digital fundraising campaigns
- Training local teachers in creating useful visual content that can be used for communications and fundraising purposes
- Taking pictures and videos that can be used as a communications tool
- Helping develop donor relationships and systems
- Helping create monitoring and evaluation systems
- Strong communications and English writing skills
- Ideally experience in one of the following areas; social media management, content writing, fundraising, and/or communication strategy
- A talent for online communications
- A passion for education and nonprofit work
- A flexible attitude and a willingness to adapt to a different cultural environment
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you can expect to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 1,757
3 months USD 2,099
4 months USD 2,440
5 months USD 2,782
6 months USD 3,123
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation (shared)
- Two meals a day during the first month. After the first month you can decide to book the meal package for the other months as well.
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals after the first month: you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for the following months.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)
- In case of late arrival: extra night in accommodation in Lilongwe
Personal Development Sessions
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi|
|Digital Marketing, Fundraising, Social Media|
|Min. 2 months|
|From USD 1,757|
- Gain a wealth of practical experience in communications, digital marketing, and fundraising
- Contribute to providing high quality education in a community that needs it
- Work in a start-up environment, which will allow you to make a substantial contribution to the development of the school
- Live and work in a beautiful part of Malawi
- Be part of a larger community of interns and volunteers from around the world
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!