Writing and Photography Internship in Ghana
Help share the stories of small-scale farmers in rural Ghana
Put your writing and photography skills to use in this internship. Join a grassroots agricultural project in Ghana and help tell its stories through digital media. Working with a farming community, this organisation runs permaculture training programs, encourages income generation for farmers, and works to prevent deforestation in the area.
As an intern, you’ll help raise awareness of the project by telling the stories behind its mission and profiling individual farmers. The content will go out through blogs, website content, and social media. This is a great opportunity for a creative person who likes flexibility in their work. If you love to take initiative and are passionate about storytelling, this is the perfect internship for you! You’ll get creative writing, photography, and digital media experience, all the while contributing to a worthwhile nonprofit organisation in Africa.
- Destination Ghana
- Type of Organization Environmental nonprofit
- Work Focus Writing, content management, photography
- Length of Internship 1-6 months
- Accommodation Single room (with shared bathroom)
- Fee As from USD 1,500 (1 month)
Based in Ghana’s Brong Ahafo region, the Ghana Permaculture Institute (GPI) is an institute that promotes permaculture principles in the surrounding areas. The overall aim of the organisation is to stimulate productivity in the local communities, while working to maintain a natural ecosystem. The organisation is based on a 24-acre land, where training is offered to local farmer groups in areas such as moringa production, mushroom cultivation, bamboo building, and honey production. After receiving training, the farmers who attend workshops are assisted in bringing their products to market. They also run a range of ecological programs focused on biogas production, eco-building, solar energy, and food gardens, and land management programs based on erosion control. In addition, the organisation teaches school children about permaculture, earth care, and tree growing. The organization has been running these programs since 2004, and is working on expanding beyond Ghana.
As a photography and writing intern, you’ll be involved in the following work;
- Documenting the day to day work of the project through photography
- Helping create a communication strategy for the project
- Writing blog posts that tell the stories behind the project
- Putting content out through social media channels
- Writing website content
- Helping create digital fundraising campaigns
You will be based at the training institute, which has accommodation available. The rooms are basic, but sufficient. You will have a room to yourself, and you’ll share a bathroom with one other intern or staff member. Three meals a day will be provided. To get there, you will fly into Accra, and then take a short connecting flight to Kumasi, where one of the team members will pick you up.
Weekends are free time, and you’ll be able to explore the area; you could, for instance, visit Lake Volta, Mole National Park, or you can head to the coast. We’ll be able to assist you with any travel arrangements.
- Strong writing skills
- Knowledge of social media management
- Photography skills (ideally with an SLR camera, though great mobile phone photography could also work)
- Ability to work quite independently
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
Dates and Fees
1 month – USD 1,500
2 months – USD 2,200
3 months – USD 2,900
4 months – USD 3,600
5 months – USD 4,300
6 months – USD 5,000
What is included in the fee?
- All meals
- Transport from Kumasi
- Placement fees
- Supervision during your internship