Writing and Photography Internship in Ghana
Help share the stories of small-scale farmers in rural Ghana
Join a grassroots agricultural project in Ghana and help tell its stories through digital media. Working with a cocoa farming community in the town of Sia, this project is aimed at helping the farmers improve and increase their crops and getting better routes to market. As an intern, you’ll help raise awareness of the project by finding the stories behind its mission and profiling individual farmers. The content will go out through blogs, website content, and social media. This is a great opportunity to get creative writing, photography, and digital media experience, and to contribute to a worthwhile nonprofit organisation at the same time.
- Destination Shia regio, Ghana
- Type of Organization Educational nonprofit
- Work Focus Writing, content management, photography
- Length of Internship 1-6 months
- Accommodation Shared room
- Fee As from USD 1,500 (one month)
You’ll be part of the Cultivate Foundation, a nonprofit organisation that provides education, training, and support to entrepreneurs in agri-business. Their aim is to utilise the great potential that lies in African agriculture, and to develop African-owned and managed agri-business that will provide economic empowerment to small-scale farmers.
One of the organisation’s projects is its cocoa project in Ghana’s Shia region. Their research shows that establishing a cocoa project in the area can have a positive economic impact on 52.9% of the population. Farmers in the region have been trying to grow cocoa, but with limited success so far. Through this relatively new project, the organisation aims to provide easy-to-implement solutions that could make cocoa growing a viable business for a large number of farmers. This includes offering training, necessary equipment, and a route to market.
As a photography and writing intern, you’ll be involved in the following work;
- Documenting the day to day work of the project through photography
- Helping create a communication strategy for the project
- Writing blog posts that tell the stories behind the project
- Putting content out through social media channels
- Writing website content
- Helping create digital fundraising campaigns
You’ll live in a staff house in Shia, within the community you’ll be working in. This is a 3-hour drive from Accra, and airport transfers will be provided. You’ll share the house with staff members from the Cultivate Foundation and other interns. You’ll share a room with maximum one other person of the same sex.
- Strong writing skills
- Knowledge of social media management
- Photography skills (ideally with an SLR camera, though great mobile phone photography could also work)
- Ability to work quite independently
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
Dates and Fees
1 month – USD 1,500
2 months – USD 2,200
3 months – USD 2,900
4 months – USD 3,600
5 months – USD 4,300
6 months – USD 5,000
What is included in the fee?
- Airport transfers from Accra
- Placement fees
- Supervision during your internship