Improve your photography skills, learn about threats to African wildlife, and frame conservation stories through your lens
Join us for a week-long wildlife photography workshop focused on conservation storytelling. Based in a gorgeous small game reserve in the heart of Zimbabwe, you’ll spend a week surrounded by wildlife; some wild and some rescued, but all roaming free. You’ll be guided by a conservationist and professional wildlife photographer, who will help you sharpen your photography skills, inform you about wildlife conservation issues in the area, and discuss the role photography can play in raising awareness of these issues. You’ll enjoy a combination of game drives and walking safaris, and you can expect to photograph a wealth of wildlife, including elephants, cheetah, and rhino.
This conservation photography workshop has regular start dates, and there are options of combining it with some of our other photography programs in Africa.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
DESTINATION: IMIRE GAME RESERVE
This workshop is based at Imire, a small family run game reserve with great wildlife to photograph, including elephant, buffalo, zebra, giraffe, wildebeest, crocodiles, cheetas – and a wealth of antelope (including sable, eland and kudu) and bird species. The reserve lends itself perfectly for walking safaris, which will give you some interesting and unique photographic angles.
From its creation in the 1970s, the reserve has been a pioneer in wildlife conservation. It’s currently home to a number of conservation initiatives, including wildlife research programs, anti-poaching initiatives, and rescue and release projects of cheetahs and rhinos.
WORKSHOP & REQUIREMENTS
- A good DSRL or mirrorless camera
- At least a basic understanding of technical camera use and photo editing
- A strong interest in wildlife and wildlife conservation, and a keen willingness to learn more
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During this workshop, you’ll stay in a comfortable lodge within the reserve, in traditional African thatched rondavels. You’ll share a twin, en-suite room with one other person. (Depending on the group size of the workshops, single rooms might be available at an additional rate.) There is a communal lounge and dining area, where three home-cooked meals will be served to you each day.
DATES & RATES
2023: 26 June-3 July & 11 – 18 September
What you’ll pay (2022/2023 rates)
Workshop week GBP 1,950
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation (shared room)
- Three meals a day
- Airport transfers upon arrival and departure day
- Game drives
- Conservation fees
- Photography tuition
- Troubleshooting and support on the ground if needed
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Transfers outside of specified times
|Imire Game Reserve, Zimbabwe|
|Photography, conservation, storytelling|
|26 Jun-3 Jul 2023/ 11 – 18 Sept 2023|
- Have close encounters with African wildlife, such as elephants, zebras, giraffes, and cheetahs
- Improve your photography skills through personal tutoring by a professional wildlife photographer
- Learn about conservation issues in the area, and hear about various conservation initiatives happening at the game reserve
- Explore conservation photography techniques
- Spend a week living within a stunning game reserve
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this photography program or internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV and portfolio with us.
We will review your application and discuss it with the supervisor and/or program manager. An interview might be part of the selection process
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this program or internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!