Tourism Marketing & Business Development Internship, South Africa
Gain a wealth of marketing and strategy experience during this unique internship in a stunning setting!
At Roots Interns, we love hosting interns ourselves! We’re always on the lookout for keen students keen on getting work experience in marketing and business development to join our small but passionate team. This internship will allow you to become a vital part of our work – and direction – at Roots, as you’ll get involved with strategy, research, and the implementation of marketing campaigns. It’s a great opportunity to gain a wealth of practical work experience, and contribute to our work in a big way. You’ll also have a chance to spend some time with our partners organisations on the ground; grassroots causes doing important social impact, environmental, and animal welfare work, so you’ll gain a good understanding of both our niche tourism market and the nonprofit sector in South Africa.
Your focus will depend on your individual skills and interests, but your work will likely include the following;
- Market research and analysis
- SEO analysis and strategy
- Overall marketing and business strategy
And since you’ll be based in Cape Town – arguably one of the greatest cities in the world – you can expect to have a brilliant time during your weekends off. This city has a great amount to offer in terms of culture and scenery, so you can expect to be awed.
NB. This internship can now also be done as a remote internship!
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Organisation Roots Interns
- Work Focus Strategy, market research, marketing campaigns
- Length of Internship Minimum of 8 weeks
- Accommodation Different options
- Fee From $1136 (8 weeks)
At Roots Interns, we are on a mission to support grassroots nonprofits across Africa and offer unique work experiences for international interns. We place skilled interns with the right cause, and ensure that their internship is a hugely valuable experience for everyone involved. All our interns become a large part of a small organisation with an important cause; this allows for great professional and personal growth, and it also contributes to the important work that is happening at a grass-roots level in Africa; a beautiful offshoot of mutual growth. We offer over 45 different internship program – with a wide range of academic focus areas – across seven different African countries. We take great pride in the impact we make on both our interns and our partner organisations.
Roots is a young organisation, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of our development. While a majority of the tasks are related to marketing and business strategy, but you can be involved in other areas as well – such as product, partnership management, and communications. In addition, it will be an opportunity for you to interact with and learn about other grassroots charities and the interns volunteering with them. We can adjust tasks to your skills, interests and experience.
As a marketing and business development intern at our office in Cape Town, you’ll like be involved in the following;
- Doing marketing research
- Managing or assisting with marketing campaigns
- Assisting with overall strategy
- Doing business analysis
- Writing reports
- Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
- Interact with interns placed with our partners to collect content about their experiences, work of the organizations and impact they are making
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
- An interest in marketing and business strategy
- Strong English skills
- Good analytical skills
- Some experience with marketing is beneficial
- An ability to work quite independently
- Your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
The start date of your internship is flexible; please get in touch to find out when we have openings.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,136
12 weeks – USD 1,628
16 weeks – USD 2,121
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment – other accommodation options are available and fees will vary
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities