Gain a wealth of marketing and strategy experience during this unique internship in a stunning setting!
At Roots Interns, we love hosting interns ourselves! We’re always on the lookout for keen students keen on getting work experience in marketing and business development to join our small but passionate team.
This internship will allow you to become a vital part of our work – and direction – at Roots, as you’ll get involved with strategy, research, and the implementation of marketing campaigns. It’s a great opportunity to gain a wealth of practical work experience, and contribute to our work in a big way. You’ll also have a chance to spend some time with our partners organisations on the ground; grassroots causes doing important social impact, environmental, and animal welfare work, so you’ll gain a good understanding of both our niche tourism market and the nonprofit sector in South Africa. Your focus will depend on your individual skills and interests, but your work will likely include the following;
- Market research and analysis
- SEO analysis and strategy
- Overall marketing and business strategy
And since you’ll be based in Cape Town – arguably one of the greatest cities in the world – you can expect to have a brilliant time during your weekends off. This city has a great amount to offer in terms of culture and scenery, so you can expect to be awed.
NB. This internship can now also be done as a remote internship!
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Strategy, Market research, Marketing campaigns|
|From USD 1,136|
At Roots Interns, we are on a mission to support grassroots nonprofits across Africa and offer unique work experiences for international interns. We place skilled interns with the right cause, and ensure that their internship is a hugely valuable experience for everyone involved. All our interns become a large part of a small organisation with an important cause; this allows for great professional and personal growth, and it also contributes to the important work that is happening at a grass-roots level in Africa; a beautiful offshoot of mutual growth. We offer over 45 different internship program – with a wide range of academic focus areas – across seven different African countries. We take great pride in the impact we make on both our interns and our partner organisations.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Roots is a young organisation, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of our development. While a majority of the tasks are related to marketing and business strategy, but you can be involved in other areas as well – such as product, partnership management, and communications. In addition, it will be an opportunity for you to interact with and learn about other grassroots charities and the interns volunteering with them. We can adjust tasks to your skills, interests and experience.
What you’ll do
As a marketing and business development intern at our office in Cape Town, you’ll like be involved in the following;
- Doing marketing research
- Managing or assisting with marketing campaigns
- Assisting with overall strategy
- Doing business analysis
- Writing reports
- Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
- Interact with interns placed with our partners to collect content about their experiences, work of the organizations and impact they are making
- An interest in marketing and business strategy
- Strong English skills
- Good analytical skills
- Some experience with marketing is beneficial
- An ability to work quite independently
- Your own laptop
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
DATES & RATES
The start date of your internship is flexible; please get in touch to find out when we have openings.
8 weeks USD 1,136
12 weeks USD 1,628
16 weeks USD 2,121
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment – other accommodation options are available and fees will vary
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Strategy, market research, marketing campaigns|
|From USD 1,136|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”Doing an internship with Roots was one of the best decisions I’ve made! It has been absolutely valuable. Not just for my future career plans, but also for my personal perspective and growth. I met incredible people, got lots of insights into the work of NGO’s, and learned so much in the field of Marketing and Communications. I developed my writing skills immensely by writing blog posts, newsletters, mailers, and running social media. Besides, I learned about SEO. I also got the chance to dive into my own project, helping me to understand the organization’s strategy.Julia, GermanyCommunications Internship, Cape Town
- Gain practical work experience in marketing and business development research and strategy
- Opportunity to also get involved in product, partnership management, and communication (if you want)
- Contribute to an organization on a mission to support grassroots nonprofits across Africa and offer unique work experiences for international interns
- Interact with and learn about other grassroots charities and the interns volunteering with them
- Live and work in Cape Town, one of the most beautiful cities in the world
Enjoy exploring South Africa’s many highlights during your time off
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!