Strategic Development Internship
Use your strategic development skills to help nonprofit businesses focus on the good work they do
This Strategic Development Internship is perfect for you if you are a strategic planner and have a passion to help nonprofit businesses succeed.
South African nonprofits suffer from lack of marketing and fundraising skills and tools, which is stunting the impact they could and should be making in underprivileged communities. Digital Butter is aiming to create a course to nonprofits that would equip these important organisations with the necessary skill set to run effective and well-funded programmes. As an intern, you will help give this course shape through both development and implementation.
Also check out our Digital Marketing Internship with Digital Butter!
- Destination Johannesburg, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Digital Marketing Social Enterprise
- Work Focus Strategic development and planning
- Length of Internship 2-6 Months
- Accommodation Dorms
- Fee As from USD 1,580
About the Organisation
As a strategic development intern in South Africa, you’ll be part of Digital Butter, a digital marketing agency based in Johannesburg. Digital Butter focuses on helping businesses and nonprofits find, retain and engage clients online so they can grow. They are proud to offer free support to grassroots nonprofit organisations, who cannot afford to pay for, but greatly benefit from these services. Digital Butter’s vision is to train nonprofits so that they can acquire the skills to more effectively run their fundraising and marketing campaigns.
In this Strategic Development Internship your tasks will be customised according to your skills and experience. They can include the following:
- Doing research into the South African non-profit sector.
- Creating an effective survey to get the right data.
- Creating an analysis of the major difficulties nonprofits face.
- Identify the training needed to improve nonprofits’ impact and efficiency.
- Helping create workshops or courses.
You will also have the opportunity to get involved in the digital marketing and communications side of nonprofits. Think about combining this Strategic Development Internship with Digital Butter’s Digital Marketing Internship!
Where you will stay
Johannesburg has both African and international influences, but also its own culturally rich identity. It was built around the gold rush in the 1900’s and was also known as Egoli, translated to the City of Gold. You will stay in a backpackers accommodation in the area of Braamfontein An area with a authentic vibe, where you will be surrounded by students, travelers, academics, and artists. A creative area with plenty of coffee roasters, coffee shops, restaurants, some of the trendiest fashion boutiques between modern co-working spaces, outdoor food markets, and nightlife hot spots.
Your accommodation (based on a dorm room) is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! You will have free WiFi, kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals or you can use the on-site bar and restaurant. There is a large cinema room and the team leads several free activities every day.
Your required skills depend on the areas you’ll be focusing on, but all interns with Digital Butter should have the following:
- A passion for development work
- Strong communication skills
- A flexible attitude
- A keen interest to learn
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The Strategic Development Internship opportunities are offered throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Johannesburg, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends the duration of your stay. See below for the fees for a stay at a backpackers in a shared room with self-catering facilities. If you prefer a single room, please let us know and we will check availability and prices for you.
2 months – USD 1,580
3 months – USD 2,096
4 months – USD 2,611
5 months – USD 3,126
6 months – USD 3,642