Support the development and implementation of programs empowering the children
Spend your internship in Kenya and support this grass-roots organization in the development and implementation of programs empowering the children.
During this Social Work and Psychology Internship in Kenya, you will be based on the premises of an Educational Center on the shores of Lake Victoria. Depending on your skills, desired learning outcomes, and needs of the children you will assist with day-to-day operations and organize educational and stimulating activities. You might also be involved with group counseling and be a mentor to individual students. A great opportunity if you are keen to support this grass-roots organization to work towards an environment allowing people to thrive and fulfill their potential.
|Social Work, Psychology|
|From USD 1,568|
This organization was founded in 2015 and they aim to empower and inspire people to initiate the individual and societal transformation we want to see. They work towards an environment allowing people to thrive and fulfill their potential. It is their role to build the capacity of people and organizations they work with, build bridges between agents of change to co-create this environment.
“We are innovative optimists sharing good ideas, knowledge and tools to create a better world and we envision a world of self-responsible, compassionate and curious human beings who work together to strengthen life in all forms.”
This organization works hand in hand with another foundation, that is operating an Educational Center providing education, food security, (health)care for over 300 vulnerable & orphaned children from the community. Torsten, the founder of the organization, discovered the Educational Center on his first journey through eastern and southern Africa in 2012. With no help from the government, the center survives from agriculture, donations and the strength of its creator: Mama Dolfine. He was touched by her commitment to these children and promised himself to return.
In January 2015 he made his promise come true. Together with his good friend Mathilde he started a long 5200km journey from South Africa to Kenya, crossing Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania and Uganda on their way, to raise awareness but also funds for the Educational Center. What started as a simple idea to help the Center and her children, turned into a big vision that evolved into the founding of this organization. They provide financial support as well as helps the Center to strengthen their capacity by consult in organizational development, designing and managing educational and development projects. Additionally, they also facilitate vocational training, alternative educational programs, and training of teachers.
The Center now houses a children’s home, non-formal nursery and primary school and acts as a sponsor for high-school and university. Aside from education, the children are taught the ideals of respect and love, environmental awareness, social and economic empowerment. They also have 14 acres of farm, as well as livestock like cows, pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, fish and rabbits to provide an income.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
You will work closely together with the international team (we always provide a supervisor), local social workers and other caregivers such a the matron as well as the teachers and administrative staff of the Educational Center. Depending on your skills, you will support the caregiving staff and/or take charge of counseling sessions and other activities supporting the child development. Your role will be designed according to your background and expertise, desired learning outcomes, and needs of the children.
What you’ll do
- Individual and group counseling
- Individual mentorship
- Support the development and implementation of programs empowering the children
- Creating stimulating, educative and fun activities
- Assisting the social workers in the day-to-day operations
- Life-Skill training
During the weekends or weeks off, you have free time to relax or take the opportunity to explore Kisumu, wider Kenya, and Eastern Africa. You can also initialize workshops or excursions with the kids, the staff or the wider community, or just spend time with the team and the children, play football, volleyball and so on.
This organization also offers internships in Education and Pedagogy or NGO Management.
- Background in Social Work or Psychology
- Self-motivated, flexible, adaptable, warm-hearted, loving and caring
- Ability to respect and work with different cultures
- Excellent communicator
- Positive, ambitious and empathic
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will live in an incredibly designed, clean, comfortable self-contained sustainable volunteer accommodation within the Center’s premises. The big community dome is specially designed for interaction, socializing and relaxing, so it’s a warm, welcoming and warm place.
A Minivan is available for trips in the area. The Lake Victoria, as well as the Impala Park (spot the big five!), are on the doorstep. If you take a long weekend, you can travel a bit further (f.e. Mombasa, Uganda or Tanzania), or go on a safari (i.e. Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru) with the tea farms on the way offering perfect cultural breaks.
Your accommodation includes:
- Four shared bedrooms (max. two persons per room with bunk bed). Bedding is provided.
- The sustainable home features natural lighting, natural air conditioning, grey-water reuse (bring organic soaps), energy saving LED’s, solar water heaters and a shared bathroom.
- Wifi is available in the house.
- The Educational Center is just 20 km outside Kisumu, the third biggest city in Kenya. It’s situated on the shores of Lake Victoria, in the West of the country, close to the border with Uganda.
- Full-board is included with three meals a day, but the volunteer house has it’s own kitchen so you can also prepare own meals.
- The drinking water is filtered from collected rainwater.
DATES & RATES
The start and end dates of the internship are flexible, so it depends on your availability and capacity of the host organization.
12 weeks USD 1,568
16 weeks USD 1,819
20 weeks USD 2,017
24 weeks USD 2,304
- Accommodation in Dome Volunteer Home (max. two persons per room, shared bathroom)
- Kisumu Airport pick up & drop off
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as drinking water, coffee, tea and fruits
- Internship Mentor
- Pre-Departure Pack
- In-country supervision/support
- Optional Weekend Excursions (additional fees might apply)
- All items of personal nature such as curious, gifts, snacks, drinks and clothing
- Round-trip international airfare
- Personal insurance
- Passport and Visa fees
Personal Development Sessions
|Social Work, Psychology|
|From USD 1,568|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”Coming from the States, I’m used to everyone living in their own worlds, train rides are silent, everyone is plugged into their phones, ignoring the person sitting next to them. Here, everyone greets each other as they get into the Matatu or the Tuk Tuk before settling in for the ride. One of my favorite moments of my day is when I’m arriving home from town and am greeted by a crowd of kids playing football and enjoying their afternoon. The warmth and love they have for each other is evident and I feel very privileged to be able to be a part of their lives.Madeleine, United StatesNGO Management Internship, Kenya
- Gain practical experience in group counseling, social work, and mentorship
- Contribute to a nonprofit aiming to empower the next generation of leaders in Kenya by providing mentorship, mental well-being and beyond school programs for children and youth
- Create stimulating, educative and fun activities and get involved with life-skill training
- Gain insight into the daily operations of a nonprofit organization
- Live and work in a sustainable volunteer accommodation in a laid-back community in the west of Kenya
- Explore the area: Lake Victoria, Impala Park are at your doorstop and the Kakamega Rainforest and Mt. Elgon National Park are within 2-3 hours drive
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!