Venture to the Philippines for an internship with a social welfare program.
You’ll join the GoAbroad Foundation and focus on supporting their community development initiatives in Tacloban, which improve access to education and food security for youth from low income families.
As an intern, you’ll play an integral part in establishing and fortifying systems for impact assessment, program reporting, and donor communications. Your role will be varied and an interesting mix of field-based and office-based work – and you can expect to learn a great deal about the day to day running of grassroots nonprofit projects.
This Social Work internship is an excellent opportunity for someone with a passion for social welfare projects, a keen interest in the nonprofit sector, and a willingness to take on a great variety of tasks.
You’ll join the GoAbroad Foundation and focus on collaborating with a local NGO to provide support for their ongoing child sponsorship program. Based in Tacloban, this program includes the following services for selected families in underserved communities;
- Regular, healthy daily meals and monthly groceries
- Financial support and guidance so children can access high quality education.
- Mentorship and resources to support academic needs
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
Your role as an intern can vary somewhat depending on your skills and interest, but it’s likely to include some of the following tasks;
- Gathering and organizing relevant data about children in the program on a regular basis
- Assisting with impact assessment of the projects and doing impact reporting
- Developing, strengthening and implementing systems for monitoring & evaluation
- Assisting with donor communications
- Developing and managing fundraising campaigns
- Assisting with implementation of projects on the ground
- An interest in social welfare work
- An ability to work independently and take initiative
- Strong communication skills, both written and in person
- An interest in the nonprofit sector
- A passion for helping children build a better future
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- A flexible attitude
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship you will be placed with homestays in Tacloban, in the Eastern Visayas region of the Philippines. You will be living with a Filipino family, participate in their daily activities (and special celebrations if there are any during your stay), so it’s a beautiful way to experience Filipino culture.
The accommodation is clean, safe and comfortable, but living conditions are lower than in most developed countries. Be prepared for bucket showers in the bathroom and roosters giving you a wake-up call. You will have a private bedroom to yourself or to share with another intern and a shared bathroom. All homes have electricity and running water, a mosquito net and fan are provided. Breakfast and dinner are included and you will eat the same local food as the family (although they also know what foreigners typically enjoy).
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD TBC
12 weeks USD TBC
16 weeks USD TBC
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Homestay accommodation with a private bedroom (for yourself or to share with another intern) and a shared bathroom.
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day and bottled water to drink.
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Airport transfer
- On the ground support during your stay
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Access to free workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Tacloban, The Philippines|
|Social Welfare NGO|
|Impact assessment, Reporting, Donor communications|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
- Join a dedicated team of people doing impactful work in underserved communities in the Philippines
- Get work experience in communications, relationship management, fundraising, and impact assessment
- Get a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector
- Make a valuable contribution to social development projects
- Live and work in a friendly Filipino community, and immerse yourself in the local culture
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!