Social Work and Psychology Internship in Cape Town
Join a grass-roots social development charity to support their valuable work and provide psychological support to children with troubled backgrounds. Based in a township on the outskirts of Cape Town, you’ll be working with a nonprofit community center that hosts up to a hundred children each day to ensure they have a safe and stimulating space to go. As an intern, you’ll assist with the day to day running of the center and, depending on your knowledge and experience, with offering counseling sessions to the children dealing with traumas. This social work and psychology internship is a great opportunity to gain some on the ground experience in social work and to contribute to a worthwhile and very much needed project.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of organization Nonprofit, community projects
- Work focus Youth development, social work, psychology
- Length of internship 2-12 months
- Accommodation Dorm room
- Fee On demand
Ubuntu Project is a social development organization that works in Masiphumelele, a township on the outskirts of Cape Town that deals with a high level of social issues such as poverty, crime, drug and alcohol abuse, and HIV/AIDS. Ubuntu’s main focus is the Ubuntu Centre, a community center that directs resources to the community and cares for between 60 and 100 children every day. The children are from families that lack the resources to provide them with daycare, and the center offers a safe and educative space on a daily basis. They also offer the children healthy meals. Many of the children have experienced traumas and receive as much emotional support as possible at the center. The organization also supports a number of daycare centers in the township that are run by the grandmothers and mothers of the community.
As an intern, your role will be designed according to your specific skills, academic focus, and desired learning outcomes, but it can include the following:
- Offering individual or group counseling sessions with children in order to support them with traumatic events they have been through
- Helping create stimulating, educative, and fun activities for the children
- Helping cook for and feed the children at the center
- Assisting with the day to day management of the center
- Assisting with the development of the center, which can include fundraising, communications, partnership management, and organizational structuring
- Offering organizational support to a number of daycare centers in Masiphumelele
|08:30-12:30||Morning projects||Monday projects|
The weekends are off unless you are assisting with volunteer house arrivals/departures.
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
You’ll be staying at a volunteer house called Yoga Shala, a house in Capri, on Cape Town’s Southern Peninsula, where people from around the world stay while volunteering in the surrounding communities. Everyone at the house plays a role and assists in the general day to day operation of yoga shala, from the kitchen to gardening and cleaning, creating a great community in the house. There is free WiFi and the nearest shopping center is a 10-minute drive away.
- Preferably background or experience in sociology, psychology, social work, community development, education or similar
- Good social skills
- Good English skills
- Enjoy working with children and people of different cultures
- Interest in community projects
- Open minded and creative
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship every week, so your final starting date is based on what suits you and the organization the best.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. Your exact fee depends on the duration of your stay, so if you tell us how long you would like to stay, we can give you an exact quote.
8 weeks – USD 1,950
12 weeks – USD 2,650
16 weeks – USD 2,790
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees including breakfast and dinner
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Transport to and from the project
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.