Personally tailor your Social Internship working with Amsterdam’s biggest volunteering movement!
This Social Internship is an exciting and unique opportunity. Working with the multi-faceted, global movement of volunteers, Serve the City, you’ll have the chance to involve yourself with a wide array of social work, project coordination, and volunteer management.
This internship places you right at the center of a vast network of volunteer initiatives. You’ll contribute to on-going projects, regular events, constant marketing and recruitment campaigns, and get involved with volunteer programs too. This could be anything from refugee soup kitchens to haircuts for the homeless to cake-baking fundraisers to litter picks.
You’ll also have the chance to bring your own ideas to the table and even start your own project. So if you’re proactive, forward-thinking and looking to bring something of your own to an organization, this program offers interns huge scope to show enterprise.
Oh and you’ll get to live and work in the beautiful, bustling, canal-filled city of Amsterdam!
Internship learning objectives
- Explore a variety of aspects within the nonprofit and voluntary service industries
- Gain practical experience in recruitment, marketing, volunteer coordination and event management
- Get the chance to conceive, develop, and run your own volunteer action day or project
- Come to understand the potential impact of a galvanized workforce of volunteers and local communities
Serve the City Amsterdam is part of a global movement of volunteers with the uniting goal to show kindness and caring to people across the world. Their Amsterdam branch is the city’s largest initiative of volunteer programs. With links to homeless shelters, refugee centers, orphanages, urban-greening efforts, and hostels for victims of abuse, they work in part to supply and coordinate a workforce of volunteers to goodwill projects, and in part to provide a connecting nexus between like-minded volunteers throughout the city.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
There’s a lot to get involved with during this internship, and a lot of different ways to get involved too. With a number of roles and positions available to interns, this program can be tailored to suit your personal strengths and interests. You could choose one area to focus on or a mix of different tasks. This organization has a long history of working with interns and a talent for finding where each individual can contribute most valuably. Come with specific goals and ideas for your internship and Serve the City can cater to them.
What you’ll do during the internship
Interns get involved in a variety of focus areas during their internship, which will give you a good understanding of running this organization. Tasks can include:
- Project Coordination and Development: develop ideas for action days and events, planning event logistics and facilitating events, managing WhatsApp group chats
- Volunteer community: assisting with volunteer recruitment, communicating with and coordinating volunteers for events (feedback collection, thank you emails and newsletters), utilizing social platforms to connect volunteers and manage community
- Digital Marketing and Communication: producing sign-up forms for events, presentations for training programs, event marketing (mainly online), social media content creation, writing blogs (f.e. volunteer interviews and recent events), strategizing for online marketing campaigns, and collaborate with IT team on website and graphic designs
- Social work: attending and participating volunteer events
- Assisting with general management tasks for HR and Recruitment, IT administration and data analysis
- A passion for project coordination, nonprofit management, and voluntary service
- Versatility and positivity in approaching a variety of tasks – and resilience when things go awry
- Flexibility regarding work hours and willingness to attend occasional weekend events and action days
- Ability to show initiative working independently but also to work cooperatively as part of a team
- Familiarity with software such as Excel, Canva, WordPress, and Mailchimp is a bonus
- Your own laptop
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be lucky enough to be working in the center of Amsterdam, a vibrant and dynamic city. While it’s a capital city with a great international vibe, it’s relatively easy to navigate, as its size is modest and its transportation options (bike and otherwise!) excellent.
There’s a great variety of accommodation options, at various price points – so it’s up to you and your budget what you’d like to go for. We’re here to offer advice and – if you’d like – help you find the right housing option.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
Placement fee USD 600
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Support during your stay
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Access to free workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Amsterdam, the Netherlands|
|Social work, Project coordination, Digital Marketing|
- Live and work in Amsterdam, only minutes from the city center
- Gain extensive insight into the voluntary service and nonprofit sector
- Get involved with an expansive range of goodwill projects, community events, and do-good initiatives
- Choose from a varied range of tasks and duties with the option to specialize in different fields
- Tailor your internship experience to your personal interests and strengths
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!