Put your entrepreneurial skills to the test supporting care for adults with mental disabilities
Here’s a chance for young entrepreneurs and aspiring business moguls to train their skills whilst supporting an incredible cause. You’ll help grow a social enterprise in Cambodia whilst addressing the country’s issues of mental disability in adults.
This program places you with an organization dedicated to the care and integration of adults with mental disabilities in Cambodian society. They run an assisted living community where beneficiaries can enjoy communal life whilst developing the social and vocational skills to take on independence and autonomy. As part of this development program, beneficiaries get to practice their vocational skills working for the organization’s own social enterprise, L’Irresistible Jams & Syrups. The mission for this enterprise is to train beneficiaries who are ready for work, provide them with a salary, and make the community more sustainable.
Your role as an intern will revolve around the development and growth of this social enterprise. The goal for the enterprise is for it to ultimately support the assisted living community so that the organization can rely less on donors and outside funding. Your goal will be to help get it there. You’ll work closely with the deputy director of the organization devising and executing income generating programs.
Based in Phnom Penh, this organization does important work for the neglected issues of mental disability in adults in Cambodia. One of the first nonprofits wholly committed to the cause, they run an assisted living community, where beneficiaries can stay and take classes for personal development and vocational training. They also campaign for advocacy and awareness of adults with mental disabilities. They run educational programs aiming to train specialized educators who can devise a new model for the care and integration for mentally disabled adults in Cambodia society.
Their ultimate goal is that their community can serve as a transitional step for adults with mental disabilities, where they can enjoy contributing to communal life, develop personal, social, and vocational skills, and then progress from. Part of this goal is that once their beneficiaries are ready to graduate from the community, they can integrate to a more tolerant, understanding society where they can claim their independence.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
This internship calls for a business-minded, enterprising intern with strong communication and meticulous organizational skills. You’ll be involved with B2B and B2C network development, trouble-shooting the logistic process of delivery and replenishment, and analyzing monthly business reports.
What you’ll do
- B2B network development – reaching out to hotels, shops, and cafes that might sell the enterprises products
- B2C network development – planning and attending events and fair market trades to increase brand awareness and push sales
- Maintaining and developing the logistic process for delivery and replenishment of products
- Coordinating the jar recycling system in Phnom Penh
- Processing and analyzing monthly business reports of production and sales
- Posting on social media and creating content for other online marketing channels
- Academic background or prior experience in social work, education specialized in intellectual disabilities, or related fields
- Knowledge and interest in business development and food production
- Fluent English language skills
- Mindset focused towards empowering beneficiaries, not making profit
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with customers and partners
- Basic computer skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Both team-working and leadership qualities
- Driving license preferred
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be based in Cambodia’s bustling capital, Phnom Penh, famed for its temples of Angkor, significant historical sites, and the Royal Palace. The city attracts tourists from all around the world and has a host of activities and nightlife to keep you busy in your downtime.
Interns will be provided accommodation in the community, only fifteen minutes from the city center. You’ll have your own room, use a shared bathroom, and have access to all the amenities in the community. You’ll live the Khmer way in the community and can expect to get well-acquainted with traditional Khmer food. You’ll also have access to all the creature comforts of Western life only minutes away in the city center.
DATES & RATES
This internship is available from June/July 2024.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
6 months USD 600
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An academic internship eligible for university credit. Check with your university to confirm if this internship qualifies for credit or alternatively we can assist you with purchasing transfer credits.
- Accommodation in a single room (with fan) and shared bathroom.
- Three meals a day
- Assistance with your visa arrangement and other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with your supervisor
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flights to Phnom Penh
- Transfer from the airport to your accommodation
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Phnom Penh, Cambodia|
|Community development NGO|
|Business Development, Food Production, Marketing, Reporting|
|Min. 6 months|
- Gain international experience in a nonprofit context
- Take the chance to train and develop entrepreneurial skills
- Develop a broad skill-set in business development
- Contribute valuably to the support adult with disabilities in Cambodia
- Live and work in Cambodia
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
Social Entrepreneurship Internship
- 3-6 months
- Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote
- Marketing, Fundraising, Business Development, Research, Operations
Help with the development and management of an inspiring social business.
Marketing & Development Internship
- 8-26 weeks
- Bela-Bela, South Africa OR Remote
- Fundraising, Research, Reporting, Business Development
Help with the development and sustainability of this inspiring project working hard to protect the ground hornbill.
- 2-6 months
- Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote
- Accounting, Reporting, Fundraising
Gain finance management and income generation experience through the lens of a social enterprise.