Gain practical experience in SEO within social businesses in Cape Town.
We’re recruiting an SEO Intern who is ready to join a growing team and assist our SEO Manager in creating and implementing various SEO strategies. You’ll be part of two social businesses; Penda, a photography organization, and our own team at Roots. As an SEO intern, you’ll help us to conduct keyword research and topic development, gather metrics and create reports, create SEO-focused content, and optimize content to be more SEO friendly. This internship will also support analysis and monitoring of SEO performance and creation of brand new editorial content to boost organic traffic.
This SEO internship in Cape Town is an excellent opportunity for anyone wanting to take a deep dive into content optimization and analysis – and spending some time as part of passionate, dedicated teams that are keen to grow their social businesses. We’ll also consider remote interns for this SEO internship.
You’ll join Penda and Roots. Penda is a social business that uses photography to both create amazing experiences and to generate positive change. Penda Photo Tours offers photography workshops around the world; exciting trips that are completely focused on taking amazing pictures. All workshops are guided by professional photographers, who help participants improve their skills throughout the experience. Penda also believes in the power of photography to do good. Through Penda Trust, the organization uses photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries.
Roots is on a mission to support grassroots nonprofits across Africa and offer unique work experiences for international interns. We place skilled interns with the right cause, and ensure that their internship is a hugely valuable experience for everyone involved. All our interns become a large part of a small organization with an important cause; this allows for great professional and personal growth, and it also contributes to the important work that is happening at a grass-roots level in Africa; a beautiful offshoot of mutual growth.
TASKS & REQUIreMENTS
- Assist with regular website audit processes
- Conduct keyword research to support content development
- Support creation of new content and updates to existing content
- Gather SEO metrics and data for internal reporting purposes
- Build SEO knowledge
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in any field (i.e. tourism, communications, marketing, etc.)
- Native English speaker with excellent grammar
- Experience using Google Drive and Gmail
- Interested in learning about how search engines, browsers, and websites work
- Desire to build content writing skills and digital marketing knowledge
- Exceptional writing skills with a passion for travel writing
- Confident writing all kinds of content with a specific set of brand guidelines,
- audience, and writing style in mind
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent, organized work ethic
- Superb attention to detail
- Willingness to learn and be stretched beyond comfort zone
- Experience traveling to multiple foreign countries
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of SEO basics
- Experience using Google Analytics or any other SEO tool
- Experience editing / managing a WordPress website
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at The Lenox, a comfortable guesthouse in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, The Lenox is characterful and historic. It has multiple balconies, a large dining room, and many other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms include 2 twin beds, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from many shops, cafes, restaurants, and some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well.
Safety & Support
Be sure to prioritize hydration in the summer to avoid heatstroke. South Africa does have high crime rates, so it’s important to be aware and use common sense to stay safe. Some safety guidelines are to always walk in groups, take a taxi/Uber in the evenings, know safe/dangerous areas, secure your belongings, don’t walk around with large sums of cash (you can pay everything with a card), minimize wearing flashy accessories, and be cautious of overly friendly strangers.
The accommodation offers free Wi-Fi to keep family and friends up to date via WhatsApp, Zoom, etc. Cafes/restaurants also offer free Wi-Fi. You can also consider getting a local SIM card if your phone is unlocked, or setting your phone’s status to roaming, depending on your provider’s rates.
A simple breakfast, lunch and a delicious cooked dinner (vegetarian & vegan options available) from Monday to Friday are included in your fee. Indulge in local dishes, like bobotie and South African Braai! For desserts, don’t miss out on milk tarts and malva pudding. There is a diverse food scene in Cape Town, so no matter your cuisine preference or dietary restrictions you’ll have plenty of options. Let us know in advance if you have any allergies/dietary needs.
Discover Cape Town’s attractions: Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Gardens, city tours, historical sites, and the Cape Point Peninsula. There are also opportunities to surf, kayak, paraglide, cage dive with sharks, and more! Cape Town has a mediterranean climate with cool winters and hot summers so be sure to check what the temperature will be like during your stay.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2024 rates)
8 WEEKS USD 1,817
12 WEEKS USD 2,279
16 WEEKS USD 2,741
20 WEEKS USD 3,203
Remote internship: USD 525
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An academic internship eligible for university credit. Check with your university to confirm if this internship qualifies for credit or alternatively we can assist you with purchasing transfer credits.
- Accommodation in a shared room (2 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices.
- Airport transfers upon arrival and departure
- Meals from Monday to Friday
- Wifi access
- Housekeeping service
- Assistance with your visa arrangement and other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with your supervisor
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots Interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Transport to the office
- Meals during weekends
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Some of our most commonly asked questions for programs in South Africa.
During your internship in South Africa you can expect to meet people from around the world, as well as indulging yourself into the culture of this beautiful country! If you want to know more about what to expect, make sure to check out our top 7 reasons for an internship in Cape Town.
Yes! We partner with various activity organizers that can offer discounts exclusive to Roots Interns, for example, a road trip through the Garden Route and bungee jumping off the world’s largest natural bungee. You may also explore the country on your own and we are happy to give recommendations.
Yes! You are able to do a part-time internship with certain organizations so that you can continue your studies, while also gaining valuable work experience.
Unfortunately, no. When working with a nonprofit organization, your internship will be unpaid, but there are many ways to fund your internship. Your experience will bring a wealth of knowledge and opportunities for both professional and personal growth that are invaluable!
- Get experience with various elements of SEO, including site auditing, keyword research, and content optimization
- Learn from an SEO expert
- Contribute to the work of small but fast-growing social businesses
- Live and work in the stunning and vibrant city of Cape Town (or work remotely, if you prefer)
Marketing and Fundraising Internship
- 4-26 weeks
- Santarém, Portugal
- Content Creation, Fundraising, Monitoring & Evaluation, Funding Research
Technical Support Internship
- Min. 12 weeks
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- CRM Management, Data Analysis, IT
Communications and Marketing Internship
- Min. 12 weeks
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Digital Marketing, Content Creation, Social Media, Reporting