Gain practical experience in SEO within social businesses in Cape Town
We’re recruiting an SEO Intern who is ready to join a growing team and assist our SEO Manager in creating and implementing various SEO strategies. You’ll be part of two social businesses; Penda, a photography organization, and our own team at Roots. As an SEO intern, you’ll help us to conduct keyword research and topic development, gather metrics and create reports, create SEO-focused content, and optimize content to be more SEO friendly. This internship will also support analysis and monitoring of SEO performance and creation of brand new editorial content to boost organic traffic.
This SEO internship in Cape Town is an excellent opportunity for anyone wanting to take a deep dive into content optimization and analysis – and spending some time as part of passionate, dedicated teams that are keen to grow their social businesses. We’ll also consider remote interns for this SEO internship.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
You’ll join Penda and Roots. Penda is a social business that uses photography to both create amazing experiences and to generate positive change. Penda Photo Tours offers photography workshops around the world; exciting trips that are completely focused on taking amazing pictures. All workshops are guided by professional photographers, who help participants improve their skills throughout the experience. Penda also believes in the power of photography to do good. Through Penda Trust, the organization uses photography as a tool to support important conservation and community projects in developing countries.
Roots is on a mission to support grassroots nonprofits across Africa and offer unique work experiences for international interns. We place skilled interns with the right cause, and ensure that their internship is a hugely valuable experience for everyone involved. All our interns become a large part of a small organization with an important cause; this allows for great professional and personal growth, and it also contributes to the important work that is happening at a grass-roots level in Africa; a beautiful offshoot of mutual growth.
INTERNSHIP TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do during this internship
- Assist with regular website audit processes
- Conduct keyword research to support content development
- Support creation of new content and updates to existing content
- Gather SEO metrics and data for internal reporting purposes
- Build SEO knowledge
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in any field (i.e. tourism, communications, marketing, etc.)
- Native English speaker with excellent grammar
- Experience using Google Drive and Gmail
- Interested in learning about how search engines, browsers, and websites work
- Desire to build content writing skills and digital marketing knowledge
- Exceptional writing skills with a passion for travel writing
- Confident writing all kinds of content with a specific set of brand guidelines, audience, and writing style in mind
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent, organized work ethic
- Superb attention to detail
- Willingness to learn and be stretched beyond comfort zone
- Experience traveling to multiple foreign countries
Nice to haves;
- Knowledge of SEO basics
- Experience using Google Analytics or any other SEO tool
- Experience editing / managing a WordPress website
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at the Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, the Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take four to eight people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 1,814
3 months USD 2,382
4 months USD 2,949
5 months USD 3,517
6 months USD 4,084
Remote internship: USD 525
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
What you are paying for:
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Accommodation based on a dorm room (4-8 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- Free WiFi
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Meals during the weekend
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|SEO, writing, content management|
|Min. 2 months|
|From USD 1,814|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
- Get experience with various elements of SEO, including site auditing, keyword research, and content optimization
- Learn from an SEO expert
- Contribute to the work of small but fast-growing social businesses
- Live and work in the stunning and vibrant city of Cape Town (or work remotely, if you prefer)
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!