Join a South African start-up social enterprise
If you’re interested in gaining work experience in a startup environment, this could be a great internship opportunity for you. Depending on your academic background and skills, it’s a chance to gain practical experience in communications, marketing, or business development and contribute to the growth of a South African social enterprise.
You’ll join Smitten Caps, a cause-driven company that brings sustainable and racially inclusive surgery caps to the South African market, and stimulates skills development and for female sewers at the same time. It’s an initiative by a South African female doctor who noticed the need for this product in local hospitals.
As an intern, you have the opportunity to bring your skills to this exciting social enterprise and contribute to its development. Depending on your skills and interests, you can work on market research, communications campaigns, overall marketing and business development strategies, social media, and website development. You’ll work remotely, which makes this social enterprise internship flexible with regards to length and working hours.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
You’ll join Smitten Caps, a South African venture that creates ethically produced surgery caps for all hair types. It’s an initiative by a female South African doctor who noticed that standard surgery caps don’t fit people with larger African hair types, and that they’re often made from unsustainable materials. To fight for both racial inclusivity and more environmentally friendly fabrics, she started Smitten Caps, a small social enterprise that offers scrub caps that are made from locally sourced materials, packaged without plastic, and that come in different sizes. On top of this, the caps are hand-made by South African women, for whom this is a livelihood.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an intern with this social enterprise, you can focus on marketing, business development, research, or communications – or a combination of these. It all depends on your skills and interests, and it can be fluid and flexible. Your tasks can include;
- Developing and managing social media channels
- Writing online content and assisting with website management
- Assisting with the development of an overall communication and marketing strategies
- Doing sales and marketing research; finding routes to market
- Helping create an overall business development and online sales strategy
- Exploring PR potential and running PR campaigns
- Strong communication skills
- An interest in startup companies and a willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Ideally some experience in marketing or communications
- And interest in business development
- An ability to work independently
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
This is a remote internship, so you can work from home. You’ll connect virtually with your colleagues in South Africa through regular meetings and check-ins.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of this internship are flexible and will be discussed with you during the application and selection process.
Placement fee USD 475
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Marketing, Communications, Business Development|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
- Enjoy the opportunity to work on a strategic level within a startup organization
- Get practical experience in various aspects of marketing, communications, and/or business development
- Gain insights into the running of a small business
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Gain international work experience while working from home
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!