Spark conversation about pressing issues with a series of podcasts
If you’re interested in audio editing, and would like to use these skills for a good cause, this is a interesting opportunity. During this remote editing internship, you’ll be part of a South African non profit organisation that spreads awareness of important issues through a solar power mobile cinema.
As part of their online strategy, this organization is putting together podcasts of interviews between filmmakers, activists and their Sunbox Ambassadors about topics relating to the films they screen and COVID19 called #TheSunCloud. With this content they not only want to inform people but also hope to spark conversation about pressing issues. As an intern, you will help them create this weekly series of podcasts and promote on their social media platforms.
|Nonprofit Media Distribution Platform|
|Min. 6 Weeks|
Founded in 2013, Sunshine Cinema is a South African solar powered cinema network that converts solar power to social impact. They train youth in South Africa, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe to be impact producers hosting solar powered screenings with a mobile cinema unit (the Sunbox). They use documentary and feature films that address social and environmental challenges and practical ways to overcome them. And also use these screenings to spark dialogue and inspire social change in their communities.
They work in four countries with 17 Sunbox Ambassadors, who have screened to over 20,000 audience members during more than 200 screenings. They also developed a free podcast series, The SunCloud, to amplify their reach outside public gatherings. In addition, relevant topics and record interviews with community leaders, civil society groups, journalists, and filmmakers are shared on community Whatsapp groups, and social media platforms and through Webinars with low data usage. This work feeds into their existing community engagement strategies as it connects their Ambassadors to stakeholders, and further builds their audience network.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
As part of their online strategy, this organizations is putting together podcasts of interviews their Sunbox Ambassadors are conducting using Skype (audio only) between filmmakers, activists and themselves about topics relating to the films they screen and COVID19. With this content they not only want to inform people but also hope to spark conversation about pressing issues.
What you’ll do
- Audio editing (check an example of a previous clip)
- Make little teaser clips with basic graphic plugins for social media (Instagram, Facebook Twitter) to promote the content (check the Facebook example)
- Assist in posting the content across social media platforms, as well as Soundcloud
- Tracking the audience engagement insights on the online platforms
- Assist with data collection and evaluation: filling all reports, voice notes, photos and videos and track Sunshine Cinemas’s impact goals
- Potentially also assisting with video editing, if you have experience
- Experience with audio editing, a good ear for good sound, and a passion for podcasts.
- Experience with FinalCut or Adobe Premier Pro
- Preference for someone with title graphics/kinetic text video editing experience
- An interest in film making and storytelling
- Strong written and spoken English skills
- A can-do attitude and ability to work quite independently
- Nice to have: speak South African local languages, Zimbabwean Shona/Ndebele, and Malawian Chichewa
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
As this is a remote internship, you’ll have the flexibility to work from your own home! Should you want to spend part of your internship in Cape Town, this is an option too; the set up is flexible and up to you.
DATES & RATES
The start dates for this internship are flexible; we will discuss the options with you during the application process. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for a couple of weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
Fixed fee USD 375
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Troubleshooting if needed.
Please note that you will not need to pay any fee if your application is not successful.
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Nonprofit Media Distribution Platform|
|Min. 6 weeks|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”It was crazy to be one of the first people hearing recordings coming out of southern Africa, editing them, and loosely controlling what is then heard by many. A wonderful organization with amazing people. In many cases, their successful impact on the ground will be a result of your work. You will feel like you're actually accomplishing something and have fun doing it.Csanad, United StatesRemote podcast editing internship
- Use you (audio) editing skills to create a podcast series on pressing issues
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Opportunity to get involved in other aspects if interested (f.e. digital marketing, fundraising, reporting)
- Contribute to a charity raising awareness of important issues in African communities
- Live and work from the comfort of your home
How to apply?
If you’d like to apply for this remote internship, follow these steps:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a new screen!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the placement fee, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your internship.
- Only once we receive payment of the placement fee, your internship will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!